FORTY NINE

*lower your brightness.
it's smexy time*

"You can hear it. Some of you saw it." Rick announced to everyone as they stood around him beside the gates. "They got back here, half of them. Still enough to surround us 20 deep."

Adira pursed her lips anxiously, fidgeting with the jewelry on her hands. She was glad Mitch and Alina were safe and standing next to her. Gods, who knows what she would've done if they weren't. The weight of her arrows on her back were comforting, as well as Mitch's hand on her lower back which transformed her stress butterflies to... another type.

"Look, I know you're scared. You haven't seen anything like this. You haven't been through anything like this. But we're safe for now. The panel the truck hit seems intact. We reinforced it just in case. Either way the wall's gonna hold together. Can you?"

Rick turned to look at them all, eyeing everyone who he knew closely. Including the group of four who stood close together. "The others, they're gonna be back."

Rosita licked her lips and nodded her head confidently, "they're gonna be back."

"Daryl, Abraham, Sasha, they have vehicles. They're gonna lead 'em away, just like the others. And Glenn and Nicholas are gonna walk back through the front gate after."

Oh fuck no. Adiras eyes widened. Who in their right mind would let Nicholas be alone with Glenn? Who knows what that devil will do? Adira just hoped Glenn would come back safe and hopefully without the troll.

"They know what they're doing and we know what we need to do. We keep noise to a minimum. Pull our blinds at night— even better, keep the lights out. We'll try to make this as quiet as a graveyard, see if they move on."

"This place is a graveyard." A women commented from beside the group.

Alina who found the comment unnecessary like the rest, scoffed, "not yet. Maybe keep your mouth shut so we can keep you alive since you obviously have nothing better to do."

"The quarry broke open and the whole herd was headed this way." Mitch spoke loudly, trying to clear the air and took a step forward but wrapped his hand around Adira's finger to keep him calm. "The plan Rick put into place saved your lives. He got half of them away."

"Would you please stay still?" Mitch grumbled as he tried concentrating on the large cut on Adira's head.

The tan skinned girl squirmed on his lap and winced, "I fucking can't. You're the worst person to take care of a wound."

"Oh, fuck you." He muttered and continued wiping the gash with an alcohol wipe. They had been sitting there for over twenty minutes and Mitch was not satisfied with how it kept on bleeding, even though it wasn't major.

How did they get here, you might ask? Well, it all started with Mitch complaining about not being able to clean her cut right because she was too tall and Adira complaining about not being comfortable due to her standing so much after being dragged down a ditch. Rightfully so, she went through a lot in the past hours and needed a break.