EIGHTEEN

◤◢◣◥◤ ◢◣◆◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

◣◥◤◢◣ ◥◤◆◥◤◢◣◥◤◢

◣◥◤◢◣ ◥◤◆◥◤◢◣◥◤◢

      There was nothing more she feared than fighting. She tried to put on a hard facade so people would think she was tough. But inside she was scared. Scared for herself. Scared for Andrea. Scared for Michonne. Scared to be alone, again.

She was sitting on the ground in her cell, back against the concrete wall. Koko sat in her lap, purring softly. He tried calming her down and it worked for a little but she could stop her heart from beating so fast.

A few tears had made their way down her cheeks when she remembered how she got her father killed. She didn't have nightmares about it. She didn't think about it throughout the day. That's what made her feel so disappointed. She didn't think about her father who loved her so much. Who gave his life away.

She didn't see Beth sit next to her until she felt her arm skim hers. Her head snapped up and she quickly wiped her tears.

"Are you okay?" She asked quietly, making sure the rest of the group couldn't hear. Her voice was laced with honey. Her southern accent was very noticeable.

Adira pursed her lips. Why was it that everytime she heard that question she just wanted to burst out in tears? She blinked the tears away and nodded her head.

"It's alright to not be okay." Beth said.

Adira slowly moved her gaze to the blonde. "I just don't like fighting. Not when people's lives are on the line."

"I don't think anyone likes to be in charge of who lives and who dies." Beth's eyes twinkled in the soft light. "Without you and Michonne we would've hardly survived. But now that you're here I know we'll be okay."

"How do you know that?" Adiras eyebrows pinched together.

Beth's gaze never wavered away from Adira. "I don't know you, but I trust in God. I believe he brought you here to help us. I saw you take down Merle. A man over 'hundred pounds heavier than you. I trust your skills. I trust your loyalty to Michonne and Andrea. You'd do anythin' to keep em' safe."

The brown skinned girl quickly averted her gaze. My loyalty? She clenched her jaw and stared at the wall behind her bed. "You shouldn't trust my loyalty."

"Why not?" Beth tilted her head.

Adira took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Beth swore when she opened them again her energy changed.

"I got my whole tribe killed, Beth. My loyalty didn't matter when I ran away from their cries for help. The walkers may have killed them, but I was the one who let them."

A minute of silence passed by. Beth sighed before uncrossing her longs and letting them stretch out like Adiras. "My farm was overrun a few days after Rick and his people came. I was weak... so weak." She gulped back the sob coming up her throat. "I didn't know how to help. I got my boyfriend killed and my mom."