TWENTY TWO

.
.
.

.
.
.

     ANDREA LEFT A PERMANENT WOUND IN MY HEART. It was known that it would never heal. It was her spot in my heart that no one else could hold.

It was exactly 179 days since Andrea died. Ever since then I had made tally marks on the prison wall. It should be around 500 days since the dead started walking. Hershel and I spent days doing the math and figuring out the date.

A few days after Andrea passed I had a dream. She was holding my hand and walking me out to the meadows. It smelt like wet grass and roses, but not the gross kind. It was homey and nice. It was raining, but the water never touched us. She knew I liked the rain. She sat me down next to the river and told me everything would be alright. She said that I had to live, not survive. That I had to have the most fun.

I told her I didn't want to. A world without her would be no life. That my heart would forever be empty.

She didn't listen. Andrea laughed and said I should have fun. That teens my age should be on their phones and crying over breakups. She told me she was happy. All she ever wanted to do was be with Amy. And now she was. She was happy telling Amy about me. About our adventures and sad expeditions.

The new people at the prison helped all the time. Now it wasn't just Woodbury. It was also people from many places.

We had jobs at the prison. Rick, Carl, and many others took care of the crops. Hershel, Beth, Laney, and Victor took care of the animals. The rest of the Woodbury crew took care of the kids and clothes while the rest helped Carol cook.

A group of 15 would work on the fence. Small herds of walkers had begun gathering at the fence and it was their job to kill them before they tear down the whole thing.

The rest of us, Daryl, Maggie, Glemn, and a few others would scout around the areas. Look for anything useful and bring it back. I liked going on hunts with Daryl. Ever since the pyre he helped me get back to who I really was.

We shared information. He taught me how to cover tracks, I taught him how to identify animals. He was smart about hunting, I was too. Whenever Rick told us to hunt he'd pair us up together because he knew we would always come back with something.

Life in the prison was fun. Tyreese found an old movie player and would hang up a white sheet for all the kids. I would go with Beth and Mitch but we stopped going because Lizzie would bombard me with questions of the walkers and would practically drool over Mitch.

I didn't mind. Beth and I would tease him about it because it was funny. He'd ignore us for the rest of the day, but it was hilarious.

Michonne didn't visit as often. She spent days near whitewater. She was a scavenger. A pretty good one too. She'd bring Beth and I anything Marvel related because Beth was obsessed and loved telling me about it. Carl received a few comic books too, but he didn't like marvel. Mitch would get some type of cool gear. I got anything crafty like beads and string.