THIRTY

Mitch had been walking through the forest for days

Mitch had been walking through the forest for days. He had finished all the rations in his book bag. He had met a man on the road. His name was Landon. He was tall, blonde, forty years old, and he used to be a surgeon. The brunette was wary at first of the older man, but there was a chance that his group could've found Landon's camp.

Landon had met Mitch on an intersection. He asked if he would like to go back to his camp, but Mitch refused. He said, "I need to find my family." But in the end agreed to help Landon go back home. Landon was persistent and stated how every time he tried to kill a 'roamer' he would just freeze. He needed Mitch's help to get home.

Walking with Landon brought a new sense of peace to Mitch. Sure, Landon didn't kill walkers, but the man was cautious. It reminded Mitch of Adira. The way her eyes looked around and made sure everyone was safe.

They walked together on the roads until they heard a piercing scream tear through the air. Instantly Mitch took the rifle from his shoulder and began running towards the noise. It could be someone he knew or a complete stranger. He didnt know, he didnt even think, he just followed his instincts.

There was a woman, around 5'9 kneeling on the ground. Her clothes were dirty and bloody. Her brown locks fell over her face as she stared at something on the ground.

A sense of relief hit Mitch like a brick. He had never felt so happy. He rushed over to Adira and quickly brushed the hair away from her face. Her eyes didnt meet his. Instead, they stayed glued on the cat that enhanced Mitch's frown.

She was pale. Too pale. Mitch instantly cupped the wound on her stomach and tried laying her down. "My people can help her. We're close." Landon stated before taking a flannel from his tan bookbag. He scrunched the fabric into a ball and applied pressure to the wound.

Mitch nodded and hauled the girl into his arms. It brought flashbacks of when he had to see Rick run miles with Carl in his arms. If Rick can do it, so can he. He ignored the burning pain in his thighs and kept on running. Over time he slowed down, but Mitch kept pushing. Landon was behind him, just a few feet away. Every couple of minutes he would shout which way to go.

The large metal walls grew closer. They reached at around 12 feet and were made of several scraps nailed together. They had guard towers with huge flashlights and almost two guards at each corner.

Once the three were spotted, the bright lights shone upon them. They could hear the syncronized sounds of guns being prepared to shoot. "Don't fire! Theyre with me!" Landon shouted, and for a moment the tense feeling of almost being shot dissapeared. A group of guards rushed from the sides of the camp and disarmed Mitch. Two guards quickly took Adira from his grasp and before Mitch could do anything about it, a hand grasped his shoulder. "She'll be okay. We've got some of the best doctors here." Landon reassured him. "Cmon, I'll show you around."

Mitch walked through the metal gates. His jaw was almost wide open. Many people walked along the dirt path. There were a few shops full of fruits and vegetables, there was a smoke house full of meat, and trailers were parked at the edge.