TWENTY THREE

•••

THAT NIGHT, MITCH SAT NEXT TO ADIRA and told her what happened at the big spot. Zach, Beth's new boyfriend had died. It was an accident. The roof was unstable in the store and walkers had fell in. Daryl was the one who told Beth, but she didn't cry. She wasn't weak.

After that he went back to his cell and let her sleep. She still shared with Michonne but she wouldn't sleep there. She stayed up at night and would take short naps when the sun was up.

Morning came soon. Everyone had some type of fabric hanging on the cell door to give some privacy. On the cell door hung a grey silk sheet. It was light enough to give some sunlight but dark enough for it to be comforting.

Adira changed into a dark brown tank top with a bleached butterfly at the front. Beth and her couldn't find any tie dye so they used bleach. She put on her old cargo shorts and laced up her boots. She brushed out the knots from her thick brown hair and braided it back.

Before she could walk out, a guttural scream tore through the cement walls. Hurriedly she grabbed her gun and knife and ran out. She had no time to think. Blood was pumping through her veins and no thoughts came to mind.

People everywhere ran past her and out into the yard. The screams were coming from block D. Walkers were chasing people everywhere. Adira stabbed the ones she could and shot the ones who were moving fast.

She could sense one coming from her left. The horrid smell hit her hard. She quickly turned around and stabbed it in the head.

Suddenly a hand grabbed her shoulder but before she could stab them, her mind realized it was Daryl. Behind him was Rick, Mitch, Sasha, and Tyreese.

"You alright?" He turned and shot a walker before it could reach a kid.

"Yeah. Everyone should go back in the cells while we clear this out." She replied and stabbed another walker that was coming from behind Daryl. It seemed at if Rick had heard her and began yelling at everyone to get in the cells.

Adira killed multiple walkers to keep her people safe. Some she knew, others she had seen around. It didn't feel sad to know she was killing people she knew. It seemed as if she was used to this.

Once it was over it was all quiet. Dead bodies covered the ground and blood was splattered all over Adira's clothes. She tried wiping the blood off her chin but ended up just smearing it.

They spent half an hour killing the rest. The group made sure the ones who were bit and already dead but not turned, died. It was a hard thing to do, but it was an action they had to take to keep everyone safe.

She stood around the group while a doctor checked on one of the dead bodies. Caleb S. had joined the group two months ago and was a huge help in the medical field.