TWENTY EIGHT

They walked through the forest again, but this time it wasn't quiet

They walked through the forest again, but this time it wasn't quiet. "A motorcycle mechanic." Beth said and Daryl scrunched his eyebrows together, "huh?"

"That's my guess. For what you were doing before the turn. Did Zach ever guess that one?"

"It don't matter. Hasn't mattered for a long time."

"It's just what people talk about, you know, to feel normal."

"Yeah, well that never felt normal to me."

Adira, who had been leading the group, was quiet. She wasn't in the mood to talk. She just wanted to sleep. Her whole body ached and her eyes were only half open. She stopped at a small clearing, noticing the small and old cabin.

"I was expecting a liquor store." Beth muttered as they walked up to the house.

"This is better. I went on a run with Michonne and Adira, we found this place." He opened a door on the side of the house and picked up a wooden crate full of of bottles.

"What is that?" Beth asked when Daryl placed the crate in her arms.

"Moonshine." He stated and made his way further inside. There were no walkers inside. The house was deserted.

Beth placed the crate on a dining table and let Daryl pour some moonshine in a cup. "That's a real drink right there."

She took a deep breath and stared at the cup. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing. It's just... my dad always said bad moonshine can make you go blind."

"Ain't nothing worth seeing out there anymore anyway."

Adira placed her quiver on the ground and took off all her weapons. With a sigh, she plopped herself into the dirty blue couch and drowned out their voices. Before she let the sleep take her, she could feel the soft fur of Koko brush her neck.

Adira guessed she had been asleep for around 4 hours, because when she woke up, Daryl and Beth were sitting at the ends of the coffee table with a bottle of moonshine between them. There were a few candles lit, giving the room a dark orange glow.

"How do you know this game?" Daryl squinted his eyes at Beth.

"I watched. Oh good, you're up. Wanna play? You don't have to drink if you don't want, I know you don't like it."

Adira rubbed her eyes, "sure. I'll play with you guys."

"Alright, I'll start." Beth stated and closed her eyes in thought. "I've never shot a crossbow. So now you drink."

"Ain't much of a game." Daryl said before taking a sip of the moonshine.

"It was a warm-up. Now you go."

"I don't know."

"Just say the first thing that pops into your head."

"I've never been out of Georgia."