FORTY ONE

The group took refuge in a small barn a few minutes away from where they once were

The group took refuge in a small barn a few minutes away from where they once were. The soft pattering of rain had quickly turned to a heavy storm. They lit a small fire in the middle of the barn and the rest tried to get some rest.

Carl and Judith were fast asleep on a small dusty couch while Minho and Mitch had practically jumped on the old and dirty mattress and passed out.

Adira sat next to Daryl and Rick in front of the warm fire. Her arms were wrapped around her icy legs with her chin resting on her knees. Her clothes were somewhat dry now and she could feel her exhausted body begin to slip away. But no matter how much she wanted to sleep, the aching feeling on her ass would keep her awake. The ground was hard and bumpy, not letting her get comfortable. And weeks of walking without rest were clearly catching up to her.

Fuck this. She stood up and dusted off her legs before removed her weapons and walking over to the mattress.

Mitch was practically halfway on the floor, his arm hanging over the edge. Minho had his legs sprawled over, taking the entire space.

Adira carefully shoved Minho over to the left and squished herself between the two, hoping to get some kind of warmth.

The matress wasn't large, it seemed like a large twin bed. Her legs were pressed up against Minhos and Mitch's back. She tried focusing on the sound of the fire crackling instead of the harsh winds outside.

She didn't know how much time passed before she fell asleep, but she knew she had because she was all suddenly warm. "They're good kids, the five of them." She heard Carol softly say.

"It's easier for them." Rick replied. "Growing up in this world instead of having to adapt... like us."

In a way he was right, but there was always a part in her mind where she missed going to school, playing sports, being scared to make a speech in front of the class. She envied Judith, she wouldn't have to grow up missing the old...

She suddenly became aware of why she was so warm. Mitch wasn't facing the wall anymore. She was on her back staring at the ceiling, realizing that he had practically climbed halfway ontop of her. His head was laying in the crook of her shoulder and chest, snoring softly while his leg pressed against hers. Her hand was curled around his shoulder while his rested on her bare waist, where her top must've risen in her sleep.

He was surprisingly warm, but that wasn't the only reason. She lifted her head to see Minho laying ontop of their thighs horizontally. She wouldn't be surprised waking up to a wet spot on her legs due to his drool.

Her heart was thudding as she laid there, arguing with herself. Should she wake them? Shrug them off? Both of them were incredibly warm and the feeling of Mitch's hand brought butterflies to her stomach.

She mentally punched herself in the throat for that thought and ignored his burning hand. She could hear the two boys breathing calmly. It was the first time they were actually getting some good sleep.