TWENTY FOUR

Throughout the day, more and more people began to get sick

Throughout the day, more and more people began to get sick. Their breathing was short, their bodies were hot, and eventually their hearts stopped. Doctor S was the one who had to kill them so they wouldn't turn. So far we have lost 14 people.

There was an incident the day the fence almost dropped. The bodies of David and Karen were dragged out into a secluded area and set on fire. They were the first cases of the flu. No one knew what had happened. Actually, no one knew about it except the main group.

No one was supposed to find out. Tyreese had found his girlfriend, Karen dead with only parts of her clothes and bones visible through the ash. It must've been horrifying to see.

The only reason I found out was because Tyreese had started a fight with Rick. When Rick was pulled away by Daryl, Tyreese tried to fight again but was stopped by Mitch.

Poor Mitch. He tried to protect Rick but it only resulted in him receiving a bruised temple and split lip. As a result, Carol pushed Tyreese away from her son and slapped him so hard that he snapped out of it.

Mitch came to me after Hershel cleaned his lip. We had gotten closer and I was happy. He was a good friend. Someone I could talk to about anything.

My initial thoughts were that the person who burned the bodies was trying to stop the sickness from spreading. That's how it was in the old days. The sick bodies were burned to prevent the spread. I don't remember exactly if it worked but what the person at the prison did was not okay.

Hours passed and more people got sick. Almost half of the prison was sick. The kids were separated as well as the elderly. Mitch and I were ordered to go with the kids but we refused. We had to somehow help. Mitch had decided to go on a run with Michonne and Daryl. They were heading to a place where all the veterinarian medicine was held. The people needed antibiotics and they were the few who weren't sick.

I was roaming the halls when a pair of voices got my attention. The more I got closer, the more I realized it was Hershel and Carl arguing.

"Don't need anyone worrying about me and I damn sure don't want someone telling me I can't go." Hershel stood infront of the exit.

Carl was standing a few feet away, "I can't just let you go out into the woods by yourself."

"Let me?" Hershel asked.

"I can't stop you." Carl sighed, "but I have to tell my dad."

Before Hershel could respond, I made my way out from the shadows. "I'll go with you."

Hershel and I walked across the grassy fields and past several trees. Today wasn't as hot as the other days. It was cloudy but the sun somehow some through the white clouds.

I had my bow and arrows and a gun strapped to my right thigh. Of course my knives were hidden. They always were.

I stayed watch as Hershel collected a few berries from the bushes. He carried a white sack to pick up the dark purple berries.