Chapter 2 : The Stranger (new)

I huffed and leaned back into my seat, fixing my stare at each member in the board room

I huffed and leaned back into my seat, fixing my stare at each member in the board room. I glanced at Jake and raised my eyebrow humorlessly.

"We won the road on floral ring road. A major part of West New York is under us now and for this, we must hold a party." He smirked, his fingers threading through his locks.

I tilted my head and gave him an icy look to shut him up but he discarded it like his clothes and turned to silent spectators.

"Why not," I exclaimed, turning to others, "I announce that Mr. Burachi will be hosting a party at my place this weekend. Everyone is invited." 

My smirk did not fall but Jake's lips do turned upside down.

"Hey! Mr. Burachi is me! How can you do that?" He argued, scowling. 

I shrugged.

"Like you were trying to do. Now, spend your money. Remember, at my place." 

I stood up, everyone doing the same. 

"Meeting adjourned on a good note. Invites will be sent." As everyone vacated the room, I turned to Jake.

"Ashton will be returning tomorrow."  I rubbed my hands nervously and wiped the sweat off on my dress.

"And you're nervous because?"

"Because we will be officially getting engaged this week?" I murmured, unsured.

"I asked why are you getting nervous then?" He raised his eyebrows, leaning back on the table.

"I'm not nervous!" 

"Yes, you are." He spoke, staring at me challengingly.

"I'm not!" I defended.

"Spill." 

"Ohkay I am a little bit."

"And I am asking why?"

"It is nothing, leave it." I pouted, picking up my phone.

As I took two steps in the direction of exit, he pulled me back.

"Tell me," He chided, keeping his hold firm on my wrist.

"It is just that... he is leaving army just because of me and I do not feel good about it." I sighed, confessing the thing that had been bugging for so long.

Even though I did not love Ashton, I cared for him. But this did not set right with me. He was agreeing to leave his passion, his job in army as a pilot just because of me. Just because of my fears.

"I don't know what to say, Cait," He stared at the floor blankly, his eyebrows bunched and forehead creased, "You are wrong to ask him to quit his job for you. You must accept him in every way. Ashton, that stupid man loves you so damn muc—" I cut him off.