4. Nutella and toast

I hear some noise, but I squeeze my closed eyes more, groaning and trying to go back to my dream

"Ne! Ne!", someone screams. (No! No!)

It doesn't take me long to realize that someone is my mom.

"Mom!" I quickly jump out of the bed and do not waste any time to find my slippers, which are God knows where, as I run to my parents' room, while my bare feet collide with the parquet.

"Ne!" (No!)

"Smiri se! Smiri se! Ja sam tu!" My dad is already up, his bare chest is the first thing I see before I notice how he's trying to comfort mom. (Calm down! Calm down! I'm here.)

"Nemoj! Nemoj!" Mom pushes dad's hands and his chest, and I watch as tears appear on her cheeks. (Don't! Don't!)

"Milice", he fondles her hair, tucking it behind her ear. "To je samo loš san. Vidi, ja sam tu", he smiles at her widely, then his gaze falls on me, who is standing on the door frame, watching how my mom suffers from everything dad told me a couple of days ago. (Milica, that's just a bad dream. See, I'm here.)

"A i Boris je", dad points at me and I smile while coming closer to the bed. (And Boris is, too.)

She tries to wipe her tears away with her shaky hands, wetting her dry lips with her tongue. Dad hugs her and she closes her eyes, relaxing in his hug. Dad nods at me, trying to assure me that everything is okay, and gestures for me to join them, so I jump on the bed, moving closer to them and wrapping my arms around mom.

She turns her head to me and smiles while mumbling:

"Volim vas. Mnogo vas volim", she sobs. "Ne mogu da zamislim život bez vas. Vi ste moji anđeli." She kisses my forehead and caresses my messy hair, while dad's arms are still holding her tightly. Then he kisses her forehead and we stay like this for some time, hugging each other.
(I love you. I love you so much. I can't imagine my life without you. You are my angels.)

"I mi tebe volimo, mama!" (And we love you, mom!)

"Da, volimo te, Mimi!" (Yeah, we love you, Mimi!)

"Znam, znam", she murmurs, nuzzling in us and resting her head on dad's shoulder. (I know, I know.)

Once we pull away from the hug, mom wipes her face once again, to make sure there are no tears and blows her nose, sniffling. I'm so sad that she has to suffer like this, always being tortured in her sleep. I wish I could help her. And I know dad wishes he could help her, too. But, as he said seems that certain events are engraved in our minds and they make sure they won't leave us. And as much we try to forget them, somehow our subconsciousness always reminds us of those bad things, just not wanting to let them be forgotten once and for all. Not allowing us to throw them away from our mind like we throw things we don't need anymore in the bin.