56. Our moment

I sigh once I pull over in front of the hospital, checking my hair in the rearview mirror

I sigh once I pull over in front of the hospital, checking my hair in the rearview mirror. God, it's awful. It's sweaty and glued to my forehead from the cap I was wearing during the whole practice. Right, cap. I'll just leave it on my head, that is a good choice here, isn't it?

I smell the shirt I changed into to see if I stink, as I regret not going home to take a shower, or being able to do that during practice, but since we do that on the tennis court in the park, there are no showers, unfortunately. Okay, well, I don't smell too badly. I wasn't working out, just did a game with some older players.

I was absent-minded the whole time, that couch had to jerk my shoulders once so I could listen to him, and stop dreaming about her. The competition is getting closer, only in two weeks, yet I'm here dreaming about her, and not thinking at all about it, not about the outcome or what could that mean for my career. Professional career. I've never thought about being a professional tennis player, but maybe that is what my destiny is, maybe that is my lucky card, my call.

I don't know. Besides that, I didn't actually think of anything else. And I think that there is nothing else besides tennis. So, wanted or not I have to focus on this competition and start working hard. I can think about Luna after practices, and in between breaks. Yeah, that is what I'm going to do from now on.

I splash Ferragamo cologne just in case, and take my phone, and wallet, shoving them in the pockets of my black jeans. I get out of the car and search the front of the hospital for her, while I approach the entrance.

Maybe she didn't come. Maybe she did come, but before me, so she didn't have to see me while getting rid of the cast. Why wouldn't she want to see me? Did I do something? Maybe she...

"Over here", a familiar voice says, and I snap my head in the direction of it.

That is when my eyes fall on her, dressed in the grey sweatpants and red sweatshirt that she told me she owned last Sunday. "You seemed lost looking like that for me." Her voice is hoarse, and before I can figure out why, she brings a half-smoked cigarette to her mouth.

"Luna!" I scowl, approaching her on the same wall where she was leaning on the last time we were here. "Did you again take that cigarette from a stranger?"

She shrugs, taking the drag of it, "And so what if I did?"

"That is not healthy for your lungs, Lu."

She scoffs while exhaling the smoke. "This air is unhealthy, yet we still breathe it."

"Why is that familiar to me?", I mutter in my chin. Someone said that to me before. Think, Boris, who was it? Oh, right, damn, your best friend. Now I'm starting to see the similarities between the two of them.

"What?" She turns to me, and I see her dark circles under her bright green eyes. Duša (honey), she didn't sleep last night either.

"You seriously have to stop taking it from strangers. God knows what it could be there. What they put there." I scrunch my nose. "If you really want to smoke I'll buy..."