14. Stella

"Ne, ne, ne!" (No, no, no!)

I groan, hearing some noise. Then when I get aware of a presence next to me, I don't even need a second to realize that is my wife having a nightmare. I open my eyes quickly and turn to her shaking body.

"Milice! Milice! Milice!" I slightly jerk her body, but she doesn't wake up yet.

"Mimi!" I jerk her stronger this time and her blue eyes open. They instantly widen and her breathing is heavy, as she scans the room, confused where she is. Every time she wakes up from those bad dreams she has, she thinks that she's back there. Back where her parents died.

"Milice, ovde sam. Ne brini tu sam." (Milica, I'm here. Don't worry, I'm here.) I kiss her forehead and caress her cheek, wiping away a few tears that have fallen from her crystal blue eyes in which I got lost since the day I met her. Since that terrible they when she had almost died.

She pushes me, punching my chest and I don't even flinch, nor confuse, knowing that she still thinks that she's there. It happened so many times for me to be surprised now. It's always the same, so I got used to all of her reactions. Sometimes it takes her only seconds to come back to me, sometimes longer. Either way, it's a painful sight.

"To sam ja!", I softly say, trying to make her come back from the dream in which she's stuck, even though she woke up. (That's me!)

"Ne, ne! Nemoj da me ubiješ, molim te!", she pleads, shaking her head, as her blonde hair cascades falling on her wet face. (No, no! Don't kill me, please!)

"Ne, ne ja sam. Gledaj me, Mimi! Pogledaj me!" (No, no, it's me. Look at me, Mimi. Look at me!) I try to fight with her little hands that are still pushing me and grab her chin to make her look at me in order for her to snap from the dream and come back to reality. To reality with me.

Once her eyes lock with mine they shine and I realize that just now she's finally awoken.

"Marko", she sobs, wrapping her eyes around my neck, and pulling me closer to her, as she puts her head on my bare chest.

"Jeste, Marko je, moja Mimi. Tvoj Marko je. Sshh", I comfort her, kissing her bare shoulder, while I nuzzle my head in the crook of her neck. (Yes, it's Marko, my Mimi. It's your Marko.)

We stay like this for a while, until she stops sobbing, and her hands stop trembling, entwined with mine, and I rock us back and forth.

"Koliko je sati?", she asks with her hoarse voice, rubbing her eyes and stretching her arms. (What time is it?)

I reluctantly move from her, pouting that I didn't get an opportunity to kiss her for real. You'd think that 26 years with her would be enough for me. That I would get bored of her. Noup. Never. Without her, her kisses, touches, hugs, and her body rocking on mine, melting in it, and becoming one, I can't imagine my life.