68. Defense

"So what happened?", I ask Jason while playing with my salad

"So what happened?", I ask Jason while playing with my salad. He's looking at his fries that he didn't touch. Surprisingly for Jason. He usually eats like an abyss. I don't know how you say it in English, but in Serbian, there is a proverb that says eats like an abyss for someone who eats a lot.

But now he didn't even touch the sandwich he took, he's only been nostalgically looking at his food, at the floor, and sometimes briefly at me before looking again somewhere else.

"Are you gonna tell me?"

"No", he deadpans, and I think chews the salad slowly. After yesterday's amount of sweets, late, with Luna, salad is much needed. Though, looking at the fries I kinda crave them.

"Why not? I'm your best frien..."

"So what the fuck if you are?", he growls and slaps the desk almost knocking the food over. And for some unknown reason, I don't even flinch as I probably should. Or would, if I didn't know that something dark must be going on through his mind.

"I don't have to tell you everything!"

"No, you don't have to", I emphasize, "but you can."

"Well, I can't!"

"Okay, why don't you call down a little? You don't have to ye..."

"I don't want to calm down!", he screams, and some people turn to look at us, but I don't even glance at them while focusing my eyes on my angry best friend who is rebelling for some unknown reason to me. And I don't know how to discover it because he doesn't want to tell me.

"Why the fuck would I calm down?"

The veins on his neck pop, and dance nervously, and I gulp feeling bad for how nervous and angry he is. No, scared. No, I'm not scared of him anymore. He won't hurt me. He is doing this just because he's scared to let me in. But, hell if I don't let in, myself because it pains me to see him this angry. What made him like this?

"Because of yourself. You should calm down because of yourself. Stress isn't good for anyone and you're the sport..."

"Fuck with the sport! I'm not you, Boris! I'm doing this because I want some big-ass career. I'm doing that because in rugby you can punch, push or fall on people without anyone telling you to stop or calling the police."

Police? Did someone call the police when he was in a fight? I hope not.

And am I trying to make a big ass career? I don't know. Maybe. But this probably isn't the right moment to think about this. My plan from the second I started playing tennis was to go with the flow and see where it takes me, yet I ended up playing it for ten years straight. Will I continue playing it? I don't know, we should see.

I clear my throat, trying to calm myself down because if I don't calm down, then I can't help Jason do the same.

"Okay, so how that fundraiser went? Is that the reason you're angry?"