22. The puzzle of the moon

"And?", Jason asks, gesturing for me to continue as he pays attention to the road

"And?", Jason asks, gesturing for me to continue as he pays attention to the road. He's driving me to school, and when he sent me a message this morning saying that he would pick me up I was surprised since he mentioned multiple times that he prefers walking, and not driving those lavish cars his parents buy him only to apologize for their absence.

"And he said that I would compete with other competitors who are as well training to become the best tennis players in the city.

"Bro, I'm so excited for you!", he says loudly and pats my shoulder, jerking me with his strong palm, while the other hand of his is placed on the wheel.

"Thank you, but I'm nervous", I admit, bowing my head, but then turn it to the window, absorbing the beautiful environment of the city that is still new and unknown to me, yet it is my home now.

I've never had a friend to confess anything to, and since yesterday and my confessing of how I was bullied, and Jason supporting me and showing understanding for me, I feel better, and now I don't think of the ways he could insult me while I'm confessing him my big fear of losing this important competition. Important for my career. I still haven't decided is that my call for the future, am I going to be a professional tennis player or not, but until now everything was going in that direction, so maybe it indeed is my future.

"Why?"

"Because I'm the youngest... All of them are older. Even older than eighteen years old. I'm the only minor."

"And why does that upset you?"

I turn back to him, and open my mouth to say why, but close them again. I sigh, and inhale, again, and as if Jason can understand my nervousness and hesitation, he encourages me to speak.

"Tell me, I won't tease you."

"Because the older means the better."

"And who says that? That doesn't mean shit! I bet you are the best among them."

"You don't even know how I play", I say, holding back the chuckle, while running my hand through my messy hair, to push the curls off my forehead.

"Well, when can I?" He turns to me for a brief second and then focuses his gaze back on the round.

I wonder how long until we come to the school. I still have a hard time trying to memorize the road there and whenever I go by car I miss some places that can give me a sign where I am or how much longer I have to go. That is I prefer going by a foot unless till I meet the city, plus not to mention the traffic here in Seattle, that is a literal disaster, but as I said Jason didn't give me an option, and even when I saw a text and wanted to answer and tell him how I didn't need a drive, another one popped saying: get out I'm here.

Though, I'm not complaining because, to be honest, I'm kinda exhausted after last night's practice. Not because of practice that much but from carrying a big load on my back. But I'm also tired because I haven't slept the whole night, since I had to....