67. I thought you loved Thalia

"Luna, what kind of a sick joke this is?", grandpa screams for the hundred time since I entered the house, and I cover my ears that are feeling with the familiar buzzing, to which I can never get used

"Can you stop yelling at me?", I shout as well, the words echoing in my head as I pronounce them, while I still press my palms to my ears.

I feel Scar's fur tickling my legs, as he is twirling around, nuzzling his face in my calve, probably not used to grandpa's yelling. Well, that makes two of us, Scar. Though lately, we've been having these arguments - first when Manuel appeared here, then my breakdown after Katy told me to jump off the train or was that first, then Thalia coming here, and almost spilling my secret. And during all these arguments both grandpa, and I were shouting at each other, and I fucking hate it, since he has always been the only person who didn't coax me or anything, nor raised his voice at me. Not even when he stepped in Scar's poop. 

He has always been the calmer one, while I was one on the edge, holding so hard on his calmness, positivity, and humor, even though he is fucking sightless, he still believes in this... damn life.

"I will stop yelling at you when you explain to me what the hell happened. Why did you stay the whole freaking night? I've been calling you million times, and only this morning Boris answered me and told me that you fell asleep. What", he scoffs, "the hell? Why would he lie?"

I frown. Boris told him that? Is he crazy? My thoughts are interrupted by my dog jumping on me, stretching his upper paws, and touching my shoulders with him. Did I mention that I'm so tiny that even one golden retriever is taller than me? I guess I did, but it won't be bad to mention it once again.

"Wait, Scar, I'll fall, baby", I coo at his ear, knowing how he always softens at my sweet words, His face lifts, and his warm tongue licks my face, his paws hugging my neck. 

Is he scared now or what? For the first time, I can't decipher what my angel guardian wants. I wrap my arms around his neck, too, and he climbs on me, and I sway backward, struggling to keep my balance.

"Luna, answer me, right now!"

"Wait, you're scaring Scar!", I hiss, leaning on the wall to support myself while I hold the dog which probably weighs 50 kilograms. I don't even wait for 50 kilograms, myself. 

"I don't care! I want you to explain everything to me right now!" Scar winces in my neck, his legs hanging in the air, while he struggles to wrap them around my waist. I bury my head in his fur, and rock him like a baby, trying to calm him down.

I remember now how this happened once, too, when some idiot decided to do fireworks for the New Year. I mean, I'm aware that is what people do on New Year, but our neighborhood is quiet, and abandon so that never happens here. But one year it did, and God how much I wanted to strangle that bastard, but I had to be by Scar's side, who was trembling for more than half an hour, even though I wrapped him in two blankets, and was whispering to him soft words, while stroking his head, He kept wincing just like now, and was watching me with his sweet almond eyes, pleading with me not to leave him. As if I could.