Bittersweet: The Beginning

Sophomore year.

It has been three days since school started and Jisoo was already tired of it.

"I still need my volunteer hours." Seulgi whined

"Same." Jisoo added in.

"Couldn't be me!" Lisa bragged "I wasted my past summers to get over 100 hours."

Being used to eating at random classrooms or spots in the hallway, the girls were now walking around trying to find a place to eat at their new building they had relocated to.

They settled on a spot at the end of a hallway and near the stairs. Lunch was going well until Seulgi pointed out a group of freshmen came down the stairs and walked away at least five times by now.

"Andddd here they come again for the sixth round." Lisa said.

They watched as they came down the stairs, walked past the girls, not even sparing a glance and left the other way.

"The short girl is so cute." Jeongyeont pointed out.

"Short girl?" Jisoo asked as she finally looked back, only seeing their backs.

"The one with the grey backpack? Yeah, she's really pretty" Seulgi added, intriguing Jisoo.

Lisa noticed Jisoo turned too late."Just wait. They'll be back again."

So she did.

"She's so embarrassing." Lisa slapped her forehead and the other girls laughed as Jisoo ran to the other end of the short hallway to see them better when they came.

As Lisa said, they came down again. Jisoo just stared at her phone as she walked by them and finally looked up just to catch a glimpse of the girl.

She physically felt her heart skip a beat.

Everything around her froze as she watched those eyes turn into little crescents and her cheeks puff up as the girl laughed.

Jisoo was now walking backwards with her jaw open, trying to catch a longer glance of the girl.

She slammed right into the door which caused her friends to burst out laughing.

Jisoo just silently walked back to her friends who teased her the whole lunch while she replayed her memory of the gummy smile.

For the next few weeks, Jisoo felt herself unknowingly looking for the girl in the hallways.

__________

"Long or short hair?"

"Long."

Jisoo and Soojoo were currently in English with Somi who had promised to give her the name of the girl if they described her.

"Got it." Somi scrolled through her phone before showing Jisoo a private Instagram page.

"Jennie Kim, that's her username. Have fun."

"Are you sure? Her bio says "Giant"... she's like 5'2." Soojoo pointed out.

"Probably just an inside joke between her friends." Somi shrugged.

"Jennie...." Jisoo whispered to herself. She knew about twenty Jennies by now but this one seemed to be her favourite.

Jisoo continued the next few months admiring Jennie from afar.

She eventually forgot about her as the year progressed and the workload became heavier.

___________

"Are we staying for the tournament?"

"I don't know. Should we?"

"Who's playing?"

"I think the senior girls team."

"How long do you think it will take?"

"It goes on until like eight, but we'll just stay for the first few games and leave if we want."

"Fine, let's stay."

Jisoo didn't care for it but Lisa wanted to stay and she didn't want her to go home alone.

"Are you staying, Seul?"

"I can't, I don't think I have my student ID with me and Mr.Hwang isn't letting anyone even stand by the gym without it." Seulgi sulked.

"Oh my god! He acts like he doesn't see us every day." Jisoo groaned out.

All the students hated the grumpy old Hall Monitor who treated students like they killed his whole family.

"Bags and jackets aren't allowed either so you better put these away if you're going."

The girls walked to put their stuff in Jisoo's locker.

"I still don't get how your bag and locker are basically empty," Lisa chuckled.

"At least my bag doesn't weigh the same as a small child." Jisoo shaded Soojoo.

"I hope the ball flies off the court and lands on your face." Soojoo threw back.

Jisoo told Lisa to go into the game without her while she waited outside with Seulgi and Soojoo to leave. Soojoo's dad picked her up and Seulgi was waiting for her friends.

"Hi!" Jisoo just nodded her head, acknowledging the freshman who had interrupted their conversation.

"What are you doing here?"

"....Oh, you know...the game..."

"OH YEAH! I WAS ACTUALLY PLANNING TO...." Jisoo and Seulgi didn't know how to get rid of the loud girl who clearly had no understanding of personal space so they just tuned her voice out.

The girl dragged Jisoo to her friend group which was apparently standing right behind her.

The sophomores shot each other a look of pity as they walked up to them and awkwardly said their 'Hi's to the other freshmen.

Seulgi was saved when she saw Wendy and Joy walking out of the school. She took the opportunity to run to them as Jisoo excused herself to follow after her.

"I've been saved!" Jisoo whispered to Seulgi.

"You have been saved? It's me that was saved. Your freshman is right there waiting for you."

Jisoo turned around to see her smiling at them. What did I do to deserve this?

Seulgi gave Jisoo an irritating smile, as she walked away with Joy and Wendy.

"I'm going to kill you!" Jisoo yelled at Seulgi who was across the street.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll text you when I get home, loser!" Seulgi yelled back, knowing Jisoo would spam her later if she didn't.

Jisoo waited there smiling, as she watched Seulgi turn and continue to walk away.

And now to deal with this annoying creature...

She tried sneaking back into the building only to be caught and dragged back into her friends.

Jisoo just stood there listening to them talk about their boring classes and watching a few of them leave as their parents picked them up.

Three down, six to go!

"Oh, wow it's a bit cold, huh?"

Jisoo's ears perked up to the sound of the new voice.

Great. A new addition.

She turned around to see which one of their annoying freshmen joined the group now only to end up almost breaking her neck, trying to see more.

----------
Turning my only interaction with this one girl into a Jensoo short seemed like a great idea in the beginning until I started writing 💀