Bittersweet: The End

It was her freshman.

Jennie was walking towards them, with a polite smile clearly confused as to who Jisoo was.

The girl that had dragged her here, also dragged Jennie into the circle who effortlessly joined in.

Jisoo, who seemed calm and nonchalant, was losing it in her mind. She was freaking out when she noticed that the friend group was slowly breaking out as a bunch of people had left for home.

"Come onnn. You guys are abandoning meee."

Jennie's whining was illegally cute. Jisoo couldn't hold back her smile

Finding it hard to even breathe as she watched Jennie smile, she let the cold distract her as she breathed out and watched the fog her breath produced.

Ugh. Should've worn a proper jacket like Lisa told me to.

"Aren't you leaving? It's too cold to stay out here."

IS SHE SPEAKING TO ME? Jisoo gulped as she noticed everyone had left.

It was just her and Jennie standing outside, under the tree as the fall wind blew.

"I'm fine. I actually have to go back in for the game so I'll just wait with you." Jisoo found her voice again.

"Oh no no no! Don't let me keep you out here. I can see you're cold. You should go." Jennie smiled, trying to convince Jisoo.

"No, trust me I'm fine. I'll just wait until you leave." Jisoo was not going to let this chance slip by.

Jennie gave up seeing Jisoo's stubbornness and decided to just speak with the girl for the time being.

"I'm Jennie, clearly new to the school." Jennie narrowed her brows "You too?"

"Jisoo. Sophomore. A year older than you." Jisoo tried to sound cool.

"Oh! That's why I didn't see you in any of my classes."

Jennie gave Jisoo her signature smile, making it hard to even breathe. Jisoo tried to control her smile as she watched Jennie speak to her like they had known each other for years.

She wanted to listen to her everyday. Jisoo desperately wanted to hold Jennie's hand which she repeatedly blew on to keep warm.

As the conversation died down, a comfortable silence took over.

They both stood there, listening to the autumn wind and they watched the leaves fall

Jisoo wished she could stand with her forever.

Just as Jisoo was ready to ask Jennie something, Jennie's mom's car had driven up.

"BYE JISOO!! AND THANK YOU!!" Jennie yelled out as Jisoo watched her hop into the car leaving her behind.

Jisoo waited for the car to leave before squealing and jumping around like a little kid.

I TALKED TO MY CRUSH!

I JUST HAD A CONVERSATION WITH JENNIE KIM!!

She ran into the game, to tell Lisa who was too focused on the game than her.

Jisoo was excited to see Jennie from then on, hoping they could speak again only for Jennie to act like they had never met.

The rest of the school years went by without a single interaction with Jennie again. Not even a glance or acknowledgement.

Jisoo was stuck replaying that same conversation in her heart.

Eventually she stopped searching for Jennie in the crowds and focused on her grades.

It has been well over four years and Jisoo would still find herself thinking about that day.

Sometimes she would go to her Instagram, which was now public, just to see her posts of Jennie and her boyfriend, Kai.

She was still as beautiful and they looked so happy together.

It hurt her to think that she was an insignificant memory that Jennie had immediately forgotten but she learned to accept the truth.

How do you even get over someone you were never with?

Maybe Lisa and Jisoo should've left for home with Seulgi. Maybe she should've never faked her walk to see that face.

But no matter how much Jisoo wished to have never fallen for Jennie, she still cherished the few minutes they spent together.

She wished she could go back to that moment. Where a cold Jennie and Jisoo were standing under the tree alone, as they watched the leaves fall in the silence.

It was the first and the last of what Jisoo had left to remember of her only high school crush.

_______

I should've never ran back to see her face in the first place.