♡ are you dumb? || watanabe haruto

ARE YOU DUMB? 

"Shooting star! Make a wish, Y/N!"

Haruto pointed at the night sky, reminding you of the antics you two did when you were little.

Watanabe Haruto was your best friend of many years. In fact, your friendship was guaranteed even before you two were born. Your parents were best friends, which resulted in the two of you becoming the best of friends, too.

That's how it had been for the past years — and that's how you wanted it to be, too.

The two of you closed your eyes, folding your hands together as you two gave a silent prayer, wishing for the same thing you wished for always.

May Y/N's wishes come true.

May Haruto's wishes come true.

It was something you two had asked for ever since you two were small. You were happy as long as Haruto was, and the same applied to him. You two wished for each other's happiness, wanting nothing but the best for the other.

"So, what's new with you, Y/N?" Haruto asked, resting his palms on the grass as he leaned against his arms, looking towards you.

"Um, I have a date this Saturday." You sat on the ground, going through your phone as you nodded. "Yeah, Saturday."

"A date? With whom?"

"Someone in Jeongwoo's class. I think his name is Minwoo. He's pretty cute, so I couldn't say no."

Haruto nodded slowly, feeling a weird sensation in his stomach at what you told him. "That's in four days. That's good. You have been single for a while. It's good you are going out," he monotonously stated, but you were too immersed in your phone to notice the change.

"Junghwan said the restaurant near the department store is giving bottomless fries for some celebration!" You announced, showing your phone as Haruto looked at the text and attached image. "We should go! But we could also have ramen and kimbap if you aren't feeling like having fries."

Just then, your phone pinged, and Haruto squinted his eyes, frowning as he saw a message from the very person you had spoken about earlier; Minwoo. Haruto took the phone out of your hands, pretending to zoom in on the picture Junghwan sent.

Hey, does 4pm sound good for our date? We can go to the arcade or watch a movie. Your pick! The male held back a sigh, archiving the chat without even realising what he was doing.

"Who's the text from?"

"No one." Haruto turned to show the phone, surprising himself at the lie because he wasn't sure why he did what he did.

What's wrong with me?

"So? Are the bottomless fries a 'yay' or 'nay'?" You asked, smiling as Haruto mimicked it, showing you a thumbs up.

"They are a yay. Let's go fill our stomachs with endless fries and cola."

***

Watanabe Haruto waited at the lunch table, looking around as he tried to spot you. Just as he took out his phone to text you, Jeongwoo placed his hand over it, pushing down the phone as he shook his head.

"Y/N is having lunch with Minwoo today. He wanted to talk," he explained, going back to devouring his cup tteokbokki while Junghwan sat on the side, silently observing the conversation his hyungs were having.

"But they are meeting tomorrow anyway for their date. Why do they have to meet in school too?" Haruto grumbled, a bit salty about the fact he wasn't able to spend his lunch break with his best friend.

"You know Y/N has a date with Minwoo-hyung?" Junghwan inquired, eyes widened as he held a hand over his mouth since he was still eating.

"Yeah, Y/N told me."

Jeongwoo had the same expression as Junghwan, completely shocked. "You are sitting here like this? Even after knowing Y/N is going on a date? With some guy you don't know?" He asked.

"Yeah, so?" Haruto shrugged casually on his phone. "Y/N will tell me all about it the next day. I'll know more about Min-whatever then."

***

Park Jeongwoo leaned against the doorway, looking at his best friend intently. "Are you sure you don't want to come to the internet café with us? It's gonna be boring here," he stated, wondering why the older wasn't tagging along.

"Yep. I'll stay at home and play games. Don't worry about me." Haruto shrugged, laying on his bed with his phone in his hands. "Have fun and stay safe," he called out as the youngest members went out of the dorms.

The tall male simply stared at the time in the corner of his phone, his mind drifting towards you as he remembered it was Saturday. Today was your date. What time was it? He thought to himself, remembering how you had mentioned it to be around four in the evening.

It's half-past three now. Haruto threw his phone to the side, getting up from his bed as he went towards the kitchen, rummaging through the cupboards to find something to eat. Settling on some ramen, the male prepared the kettle, heating the water before making the cup ramen he had chosen.

Haruto sat in the living room, mindlessly going through the channels on the television before enjoying his cup of ramen. Sure, two slurps and they were gone, but he enjoyed while it lasted. The male simply sat there, occupied with his thoughts as he blankly stared at the television, not really knowing what was going on.

The doorbell suddenly rang, snapping Haruto out of his daze. Jeongwoo must've forgotten to take his wallet. The taller male felt annoyed as the doorbell kept ringing, courtesy of the impatient person on the other side.

"Jeez, Jeongwoo! Wait, I'm coming!" Haruto yelled, throwing his cup of ramen in the trash before jogging towards the door. "Dude, what the heck? Why do you have to–" He trailed off, seeing his best friend standing in front of him.

Except that best friend wasn't Park Jeongwoo ... it was you, Y/N.

"What were you doing?" You inquired, crossing your hands over your chest as Haruto confusedly looked at you. "Hm? What were you doing?"

"Eating cup ramen and watching TV?" He skeptically answered, turning towards the clock on the wall and back to his best friend. "Isn't it time for your date with Minwoo? Why are you here? Do you want me to drop you or something?" Haruto tilted his head, frowning as you didn't make an effort to walk inside.

"Are you dumb, Ruto?"

"What?"

You gave a tight smile, your eyes completely giving away what you were feeling then; sadness. "How dumb are you?" You repeated, holding up your hand when you saw the male open his mouth to speak. "Don't answer, it was a rhetorical question."

"Why do you sound so angry?" Haruto asked, genuinely concerned, as he saw you weren't behaving as usual. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong is how clueless you are, Ruto!" You whined, covering your face with your hands. "I've been dropping so many hints. I've told you multiple times that I'm going on a date, but you did nothing. Heck, I shouldn't have believed Junghwan and Jeongwoo."

"I don't know what you are saying, Y/N. Just come inside, let's talk–"

"I like you, Watanabe Haruto! I have liked for a long time! And Jeongwoo told me you did too," you muttered the last few words, your face going red in embarrassment. "But obviously you feel nothing. I don't even have a date with Minwoo, but I might as well go on one." You awkwardly looked away, taking a few steps back as you attempted to leave.

Haruto reached out immediately, grabbing onto your wrist to stop you. "I'm sorry, Y/N," he apologised, and you felt your heart drop. "I didn't know you weren't really going on a date. I didn't know my feelings for you were that obvious. And I certainly didn't think Jeongwoo would tell you about it and not me. I like you a lot, Y/N ... and I'm sorry for not telling it earlier."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Now, since you are dressed all nice, how about we go on a date?"