♡ do it for you || choi hyunsuk

a/n: touched on a deep(ish) topic here i hope you all have someone to give you the encouragement you need to hear when you are down <3

✩ DO IT FOR YOU ✩

Vulnerability. It was only thirteen letters, but the fear Hyunsuk had behind that word could never be put into words or numbers.

Maybe he was born with the fear. Or maybe he developed it because of the idol training he had to go through. He wasn't sure how he had got it, but all he knew was great at not showing it.

Bottling up emotions and faking expressions was something that was automatically learnt by being in the industry — and Hyunsuk was one idol who naturally had the talent for doing so.

***

"I am home!" You called out, entering your empty apartment and waiting for your pet to greet you. "Lucky? Lucky!" You clicked your tongue, slowly looking around to see where your pet was.

Opening your mouth to yell for your pet, you immediately shut yourself, noticing the pair of shoes left near the door. Those are Hyunsuk's. You frowned, checking your phone again because you were sure you had received nothing from him. Hyunsuk always texts me before coming over.

You quietly walked into the house, realising that neither your pet nor Hyunsuk knew you were home yet ... and having him suddenly come to your place, you knew he was up to something. Is it something special today? Birthday, or maybe an anniversary? You racked your brains to check if it was a special occasion, but nothing came into your head.

Hearing your boyfriend's voice in your room, you followed the familiar path and stood outside, peeking as the door was left open slightly. Hyunsuk sat on the floor, playing with your pet as it laid on his lap. You were about to walk inside and surprise him when you heard him cry.

"It's too hard, and I can't handle this. Will my mother be okay with me quitting everything?" Hyunsuk sobbed softly, petting the animal as he held it close. "It started with me doing all this for her and now I want to do this too, but everything is so hard. I don't know what to do."

You leant against the wall outside your room, calming your panicked breaths as you listened to him. Hyunsuk was always so happy. He was happy with what he did. It didn't seem like he had troubles ... did he hide them? You fisted your hands at your sides, getting mad at yourself for not realising the trouble your boyfriend was going through.

He was struggling, yet I didn't know. He never shared his inner feelings, but I should've known. You took a deep breath, gathering your courage and entering the room after you had wiped away your tears. I have to stay strong for him. It's the least I can do.

"Hyunsuk ..." You trailed off, walking towards the male and crouching near him. "Do you want to talk about it?" You held out your hand, letting him make the choice on whether he wants to hold it.

Expecting Hyunsuk to deny everything, you readied yourself to argue, but your boyfriend merely threw his arms around you, burying his face into your shoulder as he cried his heart out. You wrapped him in a warm embrace, holding back tears of your own as you heard his muffled and broken cries.

"I'm fine. I'm alright." Hyunsuk pulled away from your arms, showing a slight smile as if he hadn't just had a mental breakdown. You realised his words were words of assurance he gave himself, and that's when you realised any of the emotions he showed were never his true ones. "Just forget about it." He picked himself up, walking away from you as if it would help with the situation.

"You shouldn't start something if you don't want to do it," you commented, holding onto your boyfriend's hand before he could walk away. "And if you started something, you shouldn't give up on it." You saw pain flash through Hyunsuk's eyes at your words, but you had to let him know.

He had to know you were there for him. 

Hyunsuk shook his head, wearing a forced smile on his face. "Can we pretend you didn't see any of that?" He quietly asked, hoping you wouldn't question him.

"I can do that if that's what you want," you confessed, pulling on his hand so he could sit next to you. "But just know that no one is born with the ability to endure pain, Hyunsuk. So, don't seem okay if that's what you are trying to do. Showing your emotions is not a weakness."

"How do you know that?"

"Because when I had a hard time, you were the one who helped me feel better. You were the one who told me it was going to be alright. When I broke down, the last thing I expected was to have you beside me, assuring I was going to get through it."

Hyunsuk smiled at your words, remembering the day you almost gave up so vividly. "Of course I would be there for you, Y/N. Heck, what kind of person would I be if I ignored your struggles and left you to deal with it yourself?" He spoke in an obvious tone, and you gave him a knowing look, wordlessly telling him to recount the words he just uttered.

"And now you want me to pretend I didn't see any of that? When I can clearly see you are struggling with something?" You inquired, feeling guilty when Hyunsuk gripped your hand tightly, looking down. "I'm ... I'm sorry, Hyunsuk. I really am," you apologised quickly, not wanting your boyfriend to feel terrible than he already was feeling.

"Huh? What are–"

"I was just mad at myself for not knowing. I want to be there for you, Hyunsuk, but if you are gonna hide and fake emotions like this, then it's going to be difficult." You gulped, knowing those words could either make or break your relationship. "You told me to always let you know whether I'm sad or happy, no matter how insignificant I might think the situation is. That's what I want you to do too, Hyunsuk."

Hyunsuk wanted nothing more than someone to share his worries with. Someone to celebrate his highs with and comfort him at his lows. And he couldn't be happier to realise you were the someone who will be beside him.

You sounded genuinely concerned, and he knew that better than anyone. So he spoke; he spoke out of everything that was bothering him — from the difficult choreography to the stressful performances; he told you everything.

And you listened; you listened carefully to each and every word Hyunsuk had to share, letting him know you were with him every step of the way by giving his hand squeezes of assurance from time to time.

You turned towards your boyfriend, cupping his face. "Before you start something, you have the choice of whether or not you should do it. At that moment, if you don't want to, then you don't have to." You smiled widely, making him mimic the same. "But once you start, you shouldn't give up, okay? You can take breaks and hit pause on what you are doing, but you shouldn't give up."

"I started this because of my family," Hyunsuk stated, taking your hands in his, intertwining them. "But I'll get through this because of you. I'll do my best for you, Y/N."

"You more than me, Suk. Do it for yourself. Because you are the one working hard, not me. I'm gonna keep loving you and supporting you either way."