♡ a smile suits you better || kim doyoung

content: chairman being an ass, strangers to friends, angst with fluff ending (?), dobi being such a sweetheart

✩ A SMILE SUITS YOU BETTER ✩

"Why should I let a student who doesn't even know about law enter this university? There are so many students who are better than you. Why should I let you in?"

The chairman shook his head, a disgusted look on his face. "This is a prestigious university, Y/N. We don't enroll just anyone here. You have to show you are worthy of this opportunity," he stated. "Do you know what I see when I look at you, Y/N?"

You've said enough. Please keep those three words to yourself. I already know what it is. Please don't say–

"I see failure."

You looked up, ignoring the wide-eyed look you got from the chairman's secretary who stood beside his desk. Holding back the tears, you made eye-contact with the older male, not wanting to give up even though all you wanted to do was run away from that interview and never come back.

No. You can't give up. You've been dreaming about entering this university for so long. Don't give up just because the chairman is a jerk.

"I will work hard to change that, sir. Give me one chance and I'll prove that I'm worth enrolling in this university," you calmly spoke, taking a deep breath as he pondered over your words.

I can do this. I won't give up until I've tried.

After the horrid interview with the chairman, you arrived at the university's library, listening to the librarian's instructions on taking the aptitude test before choosing a secluded corner to be by yourself. You kept a timer for two minutes, placing your phone down before covering your face with your hands.

And you cried. You quietly sobbed, letting out all the frustrations you felt while you were taking the interview with the university's chairman. As soon as you heard the little ding from your timer, you wiped away your tears, concluding your brief breakdown before grabbing the pen and writing your test.

Crying can wait. For now, I am going to ace this test.

One year later, and you were studying in the very university with the rude chairman, successfully doing your law degree. You ended up getting the highest marks out of everyone in the aptitude test — as well as the semester exams — which landed you with a scholarship for the second year.

"Yes, mum. I'm going to eat right now, don't worry," you convinced your mother, ending the call as soon as you answered it. "I gotta go now." You struggled with the books in your hand, forgetting to place them inside your bag in the hurry you left the class.

Not looking where you are going, you accidentally bump against someone, apologizing profusely as you grabbed your phone off the floor before checking if the other person was okay.

"I'm so sorry. Are you hurt? Really, I am–"

"No, it's alright. I'm fine." A deep but soft voice called out, instinctively reaching out to touch your shoulders as he steadied the two of you. "Is your phone alright? I apologize for–" His words fizzled out upon seeing your face, brows raising in amusement before breaking into a laugh.

You questioningly looked around you, touching your face before looking at the male in front of you. "Is everything alright? Why are you lau—is there something on my face?" You quickly checked your reflection from your phone, frowning when you saw nothing laughable.

"I'm sorry, I don't know if it's appropriate, but I just remembered you from a year ago." He cleared his throat, sobering from his laughter. "You were crying in the library, and just as I tried approaching you, your phone's timer went off and you stopped crying. It was an oddly amusing memory for me."

"Oh."

He chuckled, touching his hair awkwardly as he remembered the moment. "I always wondered if the timer-crying person passed the test and got accepted." His smile was genuine and — oddly enough — he looked proud. "And here they are in front of me."

You were simply flabbergasted, not knowing what to say or do. "Well, for starters, I'm Y/N. It's nice to meet you." You bowed politely, reaching out for a handshake. "I was, uh, having a tough day. Tears have to wait a little when you have an aptitude test in front of you." You found the humor to joke with it, your smile causing the male to mimic the same.

"I am Kim Doyoung. It's nice to finally meet you." He bit his lip, looking at you with a soft gaze before his smile widened. "Want to grab something from the cafe? My treat!" He offered; his hand already wrapped around yours as he dragged you towards to the aforementioned establishment.

Over a cup of your favorite drink and a plate of your favorite pastry, you didn't expect to be laughing as much as you did when you were with Doyoung. He was a naturally charming person, and it certainly didn't help that he was twice as handsome.

Throughout your conversations, however, you never failed to notice how his gaze would linger on you — just a second little longer — before he turned away, blindly searching for something else to distract himself with.

"Is there anything you want to tell me, Doyoung-ssi?" You inquired, not being able to keep it to yourself. "You keep looking at me a little weirdly, no offense."

Doyoung bit his lip, looking embarrassed. "Is it that obvious?" He gave his signature smile, nodding slightly before sitting straighter in his seat. "I know we just met, so this might sound a little too much coming for me."

"What is it?"

"You look really pretty when you smile, Y/N. I hope I don't have to see you cry like you did that day ever again. A smile suits you better than those tears."

a/n : based on true events! i actually went through this exact crappy interview when entering my university + i did set a timer to cry bc i had a test to do AND some dude did see me cry but he just pretended he didn't see (which was nice of him) + bonus; the dude is actually in my class :)

also !!! eid mubarak to my muslim readers! wishing you and your families a ramadan filled with happiness, health and glory!