Episode 48: Horizons

"Doctor Markasson?" The light switch to the room is flipped on to expose the man in a lab coat bent over a desk, peering into a newly procured skin sample so he can broaden his research. "Doct-"

               "Yes?" He soothingly answers. "What is it?"

               "I'm sorry to interrupt." One of his nurses sighs. "There are some...people, outside."

               "Did they get permission from the council?"

               "No sir." The nurse with tired eyes shakes her head.

               "They aren't deployed by me. This is none of my concern."

               "Sir, you don't understand." She lightly scoffs, swallowing before side-glancing. "They came from outside the wall. They...knew we were here. They said that...someone told them about this place."

               "You think it was my daughter?" Doctor Markasson stands up straighter, slightly amused by this strange new day, the possibility of what could be going on, promising in many ways. "Hmph...Show them in." He takes off his gloves, wiping his knuckles as the confused and somewhat scared nurse excuses herself.

               "Sir?" She waits a moment. "These people...brace yourself, they're different than...us."

               "Don't be so alarmed. They were people once too." David smiles at her, melting her heart at his good looking charm while his face slowly calms after she nods to bring them back in, licking his lower lip in anticipation, only to kill time by walking to his bathroom, and examining the corpse he had shut inside his shower section, staring as the blurred glass separating them is banged on by the woman he once fancied.

               "Oh Spes...you shouldn't have told anyone." He lifts his hand to touch the stable structure as the wheezes come forth. "You just shouldn't have."

_________________

-Carl's P.O.V.-

               "Give it up babe." I exhale heavily, smiling at her while she rests on her palms and knees, my legs strong enough to stand up straight, but just barely. My gosh, we're both exhausted and out of breath from training all day, wrestling and only taking 10 minute breaks to drink the last of the water and talk a little, but she just won't give up.

               "Honey...I thought I said, I'd pin you, one way or another!" She pants out, fighting the ache in her muscles to stand while the sun comes through the two large windows on the right, rain falling quickly with no clouds in the sky making the room feel different somehow.

               "Honey?" I scoff and raise an eyebrow. "That sounds like we're married."

               "Oh stop." She holds her cheeks before moving to get up, swallowing prior to me being rewarded with a smile. "Were Maggie and Glenn married before all this happened?" Her chest heaves in and out with some sweat spread on her skin.

               What'd she just ask?

               "No." I shake my head. "They sort of just...adopted each other?" I chuckle at her blank face and sit on the edge of the bed when she clears her throat, walking over to her gear when-what is she doing with her saber? "Practicing?" I sound a little worried.

               No sh1t I'm worried. She told me she was going to kill herself yesterday in case...something happened to us. I'm this close to snatching her sword and putting her in time out.