Episode 5: Every Little Thing Can Make A Big Difference

"I don't trust em' enough to let em' be together for a whole night." My dad tilted his body a bit and I huff before eyeing Mark, picking up his share of blankets which is just one, suddenly spotting a spider on it.

               Pretty soon both my dad and I are staring in disbelief as he swats his arms at least 20 times in one second to make sure no insects are invading his body, squirming and stomping like he's hysterical at the thought of one 8 legged bug which probably isn't even poisonous, touching his skin.

               "I fvcking hate this place!" Mark hisses under his breath and I turn to glare at my dad for even suggesting I sleep in the same area with this guy tonight, just to keep an eye on him.

               "I know. He's not what we're used to-"

               "He's insane." I tilt my head and sigh. "But, if you need me to...I will."

               "Figure out if he's someone we can trust. I think Jesse's tellin' the truth...Just them two, but Abraham still needs some convincing. Maggie just finding out about Beth. It's a hard time for us all."

               "Why did you let them come in?" I finally get to ask my dad what the heck he was thinking to let them join us, even if it is for just a night so far.

               The way he's looking at me though, like he's surprised I asked given that, lately, I'm the more accepting one than he is, it must look pretty weird that I seem a little reluctant to have them here. It's not that I don't trust them; I'm just not sure if having new people around is a good thing is all.

               Especially when we'll just lose them in the end.

               "When I was back at the hospital...I killed a man that gave me no room for exceptions." He confesses, and I only linger my eyes on his shoes for a quick moment before contacting his blue orbs again. "After Beth died, I offered a place to anyone willin' to come with us to the people who had her."

               That's sort of unlike him. Very unlike him actually.

               "Why?" I shrug.

               Another look past me to Mark sitting down, quiet and pouting on the pews with his legs propped up and his knees against his chest, still not willing to take the hat off, and I hear my dad's words at last.

               "Because it's who we are now."

______________

-Spes' P.O.V.-

               "Do you need help?" Jesse stands to put his arms out for the lady with moonlight silver hair, and I watch as she shakes her head.

               "I'm just banged up a little bit." Wow. Her voice isn't as granny-fied as I thought it was going to be. Mostly...calm.

               "How'd it happen?"

               The woman's large blue eyes give him her full attention, now that she knows he's not going to just leave her to slug around to her place of rest in this stupid, little run down building. Before giving the answer, she offers a smile and then a frown.

               "Car."

               Car accident?

               "I was running and it hit me."

Child Of The Futureजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें