Episode 27: About Us

"You were listenin'?" My dad sighs, almost amused that I'm still acting like a kid here and there, eavesdropping when I could probably just walk right into the middle of a conversation if I wanted. I didn't want to risk him shutting Deniece up though. It was worth being sneaky.

               "Yeah. Do you think she's right?" I lick my bottom lip, recalling what the woman who's obviously taken a shine to my dad said before.

               Apparently this isn't such a safe haven after all. For about 7 months now, there's been a group of men, recently situated around this area that have been giving the boarding house some trouble. Harassing them here and there, basically trying to take advantage of the fact that a troop of whores live here.

               So Deniece thinks that this was them. Spes was a little confused, but she didn't have time to tell me what she thought because Kitty came along and offered to give her a hot bath or something. Apparently their stove is old school so they can heat up water without electricity. This place does look kind of ancient. Antique-ish, so I don't doubt they'd have a pot belly stove or something.

               I'm actually hoping that Deniece is right. Maybe Spes could feel better that way. I don't want her to be broken up like this, tortured every second of every day. I'm her boyfriend now, significant other; of course I'd want her to be happy. Anything's better than having a knife plunge through her chest.

               "It didn't take long for me to wonder if it was the men that Spes told us about before."

               Yeah. Dad's a sharp one. I'm a little curious how that'll work out when it comes to me and Spes. I mean he already knows we're together, but I wonder if he's picked up on us in the pantry or hanging out by the truck.

               Fvck. That was only 2 or 3 hours ago now. It feels like a week has passed since then.

               "Spes thought it was her fault. Do you think so?"

               "I don't know. When we went out there, we found a body."

               "What?"

               "Somebody look like they'd been beat to death. Couldn't recognize his face. His head was smashed in with a rock."

               Sh1t.

               Dad's never been this straightforward before with me. He'd always baby me about how somebody died, even when I killed someone myself. Now he's just shaking his head like he can't understand a damm thing that's happening.

               It's all screwed up and confusing.

               I'm glad he's not treating me like a kid though.

               But what could a dead body out in the woods mean?

               "Do you think he was the one who shot? Or involved with it?" I shift onto my leg, hoping that dad won't suddenly remember who he's talking to. If he could treat me like Daryl for once, it'd be fine by me. He said it himself, I'm a man. Might as well start treating me like one.

               "Maybe. Shot could've come from a number of different places. If he had a weapon, the man that killed him took it. Daryl and I are gonna go out lookin' tomorrow. See if it leads anywhere. Maybe find out where the camp is for all those men that Deniece told us about." He finally puts his eyes on me, our contact serious for a second until he smiles and pats my shoulder. "Get some sleep. It's goin' to be a long winter."