Episode 12: Take Away The Lie

"Ah!" Spes pushes out her arms, hoping to sooth the impact, but she still hits the bark of the tree with zero mercy after Abraham threw her to the solid substance. "Please just stop!" She turns around to see everyone looking.

               All of them. Their eyes unwilling to give her an ounce of doubt. She's done for.

               "I know this has something to do with you!" The redheaded man slaps his hands on her shoulders to pick her up like a doll without strength, pressing her against the growing tree while sizing her down with his eyes.

               "Dad, do something!" Carl beckons, pleading his father to intervene. Do something. Anything. But he's just standing there, studying the situation while Daryl keeps Jesse back, away from his friend as the rest of the group stare in one of two places; Gabriel on his knees in heartbroken sadness.

               "There's something you're not telling us." Abraham growls. "You got supplies, a way to defend yourself, first hand training with that fvcking toothpick, almost zero knowledge about the world today, and then this?" He picks up her dark grey braid, dangling it around before tossing it back down.

               Spes can't keep a brave face forever. It's slowly losing its ability to stick, and she flinches when he touches her at all the next time.

               What can she do? Lie?

               "There's nothing to tell. If you think this has anything to do with me...y-"

               "I'm wrong? Take a look at this long and hard little missy." His gruff hand clamps around her jaw before turning her face to stare at the church, still burning to the ground, smoke rising up and blending with the air, tall and infectious with how it spreads.

               It's then that she looks at Carl, knowing she can't keep it a secret any longer. After this, there's no way. Jesse knows it. And that's why he only has a look of sympathy now. Sympathy.

               "Why Spes?"

               Why?

               "It's because of you, isn't it?"

               Isn't it?

               "Why is the church burning?"

_______________

-One Hour Earlier-

-Spes' P.O.V.-

               "Ok. You two, with me." Rick points at Jesse and myself before making eye contact with Carl and Michonne, all 5 of us going in one direction while Abraham, Rosita, Tara and Noah go in the other. Carol and Daryl went with Sasha and Tyreese in another pointed road while the rest are staying at the church, tending to the baby and keeping an eye on things.

               I kept thinking about last night, while everyone was inside, being tucked away, and I ran into the glare of that big ape, Abe, that once I got inside, wouldn't stop hounding me about who I was and what my past consisted of.

               And when Judith, Carl's sister cried, he made it clear that I didn't seem very impressed with the idea of a child being born into this world. He seemed really curious about why I was the way I was, and I didn't have enough answers to make myself sound inconspicuous.

               Fvck...What do these people want from me? What more can I give than...whatever I have?

               Why are they so...nosy or...invasive with their questions? Has everything changed from what I remember it to be, what I grew up with, to this?