Episode 1: Pilot

Dry. Incredibly dry. The sun swallowed up everything that day. There was nothing of soft water, refreshing breeze, nor cool spray of moistness. There wasn't anything, but the suffocating travel of bright sand smoking upwards into our lungs, powdering our faces, making the creases and aged and uncared for skin even more unbearable to expose to the elements than before.

               "Spes..." I shifted my arms to see the man who'd taken me in, clean of the beard I first knew him to sport, struggling to keep his eyes on me with blood oozing out onto his lip.

               I could only cough as a response.

               "Don't tell them..." He breathed in anxiousness. "Don't tell them...who you are. Don't-"

               "Shut up!" Another kick was landed into his stomach, a thick leg attached to the black shoe that had the clean shot to attack my leader's slender body. "They'll be no talking today gringo. That little girl over there with that fvcking grey hair. She'll talk..." He crouches down to his prisoner, a smug smile exposing his disgusting yellow teeth, brown blotches found in the creases near his unhealthy gums flash to my eyes when he starts to laugh. "Or the rest of your people die tonight."

               One look to the small distance behind us all, the dry land unbelievably powerful to take away all hope inside me, and I see the newly destroyed ground, all placed back where it was originally laid, apparent that just like me, the people buried under that ground I see now, are not dead.

               They're alive.

               For now.

________________

-Less Than A Month Prior-

               "Yo! Spes! Come on girl!"

               "Fvck!" I spit under my breath. "Yeah! One second!"

               "Get your mutt as$ over here! I'm not waiting all day!" I roll my eyes at my friend's slanted Mexican accent before shutting my window, cursing again at the fact that my vision couldn't reach far enough to see past the high wall that separates me from the rest of the world. The truth to it.

               "You ever think you could stop calling me that?" My hands grab at the water bottle I have laying beside my bed, my annoyance at how cold the freezer kept it just further adds to how suckish this day is so far.

               "What'd you say?" Estela hops up the steps and leans on my open door, her dark skin quite the contrast since my entire room is an old white type shade.

               "I said, could you stop calling me a mutt?" I glare. "It's not even funny anymore. Besides, I'm not a dog."

               The look on my 17 year old buddies face tells me she's not even gonna grant me my wish to stop or anything like it. "Technically it's what you are. Hey at least you don't the Mexican accent."

               "Why would I?" I scoff and walk across my slightly crowded room to get my work out clothes off the hanger, tossing it on my bed while Estela's hands start to mess with my clean short skirt's fabric. "Dad's an American." I slide off my striped shirt and turn my body to check to see if I've gained any weight.

               "You're thin. Get over it! And I'm just teasing. But you know, you're mom was Mexican and that's why I call you a mutt, remember? It's not cause I think you're a b1tch."