Episode 54: Survival Takes The Fittest

"The end of the day." Reagan stares at the line of our group, confused but then again knowledgeable of where the heIl this is leading when I feel the sweat on my brow turn cold. "End of the day, Jesse's not back, you all die."

               Sh1t.

               Sh1t, sh1t, sh1t, no.

               "Unless we can find him, or he comes back of his own accord."

               "What do you mean find him?" Carol frowns in the sun. "We're going to go out looking for him? We'd need guns to defend ourselves against the-"

               "Walkers, I know. Don't need to worry. Each of you going will be given an escort with a loaded weapon as you muddle through. I want you to check everything and everywhere. He can't have gone far. Now for some, we're going to be checking in that neighborhood from before. He might be there." Reagan begins piecing groups together, his family and friends outnumbering us by a handful of extras that are more than willing to point rifles at our backs while we look for the 'murderer'.

               "How do we know your men won't kill us first chance they get without your permission?" Sasha glares, breathing in the same moment Reagan stares over his men, all of them giving assured looks they'd never do such a thing.

               I'm not so sure though. I'm just worried sick wondering where me and Carl will be in all this.

               I can't believe this is happening. Jesse, gone, who knows where, and the group, in chains again. Honestly though, if Jesse didn't kill the girl Jace said he killed then who did? What if it was just some random walker taking a nibble?

               Ugh, the idea makes me cringe.

               There's just no way I'm going to feel ok again until this is all over. When I'm either set free or dead. Hopefully not the latter.

               Hopefully I'll live through this fvcking mess like I've been lucky to do in the past.

               Dammit.

               "Spes, Judith, and Carol however will stay here until we return."

-Carl's P.O.V.-

               My face feels like it's been drained of blood when I hear what Reagan just said, my neck becomes hot and sweaty with nerves and I'm so close to having a mental breakdown that I start counting the number of tiles at my feet.

               Spes and I. We won't be there to have each other's backs. She'll be here, with all of Reagan's men and family, friends and people I don't know and can't trust. It'll just be her and my little sister along with Carol.

               "Why not me?" The widow of our group asks, blue eyes fierce but calm.

               "Because you're smart. I've known survivors like you, and I can't let you out there where a man with a loaded gun is right by your side. You'll be staying here, taking care of the child."

               "And why not me?" Spes pipes up, drawing my attention back to her when I spot Jace lurking around on the skirt of both groups, his waist decorated with my gun and Spes' saber, his hands all over my knife before prancing over and smiling at me, seconds before standing next to my girlfriend.

               It's Tyreese's hand on my shoulder alone that keeps my figure from attacking him right here in front of everyone, killing him and leaving him with only his gums to chew mush for the rest of his crippled life, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.