2|| A Dreadful Cage

TW: SWEARING, YELLING, BLOOD, VIOLENCE, GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF TORTURE, TRAUMA 

This chapter contains graphic depictions of actual torture methods that were formally used on the POWs of both the Allied forces and Axis powers of WW2. It includes waterboarding and beatings. Because this is such a serious topic and reflects on events that are rather recent in human history, there will be a warning before the content. If you want to skip this part of the chapter (which is highly recommended for readers under 18) don't read the section between these double lines (example below). 

==============================
what you don't want to read
===============================

I promise that you won't miss anything important if you skip, I want you all to be able to read safely on Wattpad which is why I put in trigger warnings at the start of every chapter. Don't push yourselves in the wrong direction <3  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My body is wracked with shivers as a breeze sweeps over my thin clothing. My head is pounding and everything aches like I'm one giant bruise. I peel my eyes open and find myself faced with the alien landscape in front of me. I push myself off the cold tiles and let the breeze brush my hair from my shoulders. 

I look out at the world that's been laid at my feet. The concrete Jungle was as vast as the ocean, I couldn't see where it ended. Was this what human society was like so long ago? It looked horrible, like a jail cell for millions of people. No wonder so many people died, all anyone had to do was point a nuke near here and they'd all be dead.  Old World was complicated, to say the least, I'd heard hundreds of stories from Mother and Father and the town's elders when I was young. All the stories ended the same way. Inescapable death. 

I shake myself from my thoughts and get up onto my feet. I must have fallen asleep outside somehow. I look back over the balcony briefly, demons hid by the sides of buildings in shade away from the sunlight. Although not much sunlight reached the ground. 

Another gust of wind whips over my body and I wrap my thin arms around myself shivering. It whistles past the buildings lighting up the world a little bit with its strange song. I scuttle back inside and close the balcony doors and sigh. It was cold in the room from the doors being left open, but at least it wasn't windy. 

I take a moment to properly survey my room. It was everything but what I expected Schlatt to imprison me in. The room was huge and luxurious and incredibly well decorated, it was so large it was like a small house, minus the kitchen and laundry room. The walls were off white with dark oak panelling on the bottom that wrapped around the whole room. The ceiling was also delicately panelled and in the centre of the room was a chandelier of sorts, it was a black metal ring with unlit torches on it. 

Directly opposite me was the door that leads out of the room and left of it was a queen-sized bed adorned with dark grey blankets and furs. It was safe to say I wouldn't freeze this winter. The bed had a dark oak headboard and drawers on the sides. I opened them and found more blankets, extra pillows and fresh sheets. I stood up and looked at the rest of the room laid out in front of me. Between two doors on the opposite end of the room was an unlit fireplace with two small comfy-looking brown leather couches. They sat on a patterned red rug on either side of a small table. On the wall where the exit door there was a giant bookshelf with a desk in the middle. Opposite the bookshelf was a giant window that overlooked the world outside. I had no idea what to call that landscape, it was like nothing I had ever seen before.