54 || Great and Sudden Change || Part 1

TW: SWEARING, YELLING, SWEARING, TRAUMA, BEATINGS, PHYSICAL AND VERBAL ABUSE, DEALING WITH ABUSERS, INCREDIBLE VIOLENCE, MENTIONS OF DRUGS, BLOOD, ANXIETY ATTACK TRAITS, SEVERE SHOCK, ILLNESS TRIGGERED BY MENTAL STRESS, TRAGIC BACKSTORY, UNBELIEVABLE TWIST THAT YOU NEVER SAW COMING

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Messy loose bits of wispy hair cloud my vision, I shove them away with sweaty palms and keep my eyes locked on the bubbling potion. I feel my heart pounding and hear the breaths coming out of my mouth. 

"Please work, please work," I mutter unconsciously under my breath. 

I don't remember which trial this is, it's written somewhere in my journal. The pages were nearly totally black with ink as I had struggled to squeeze in every amount of data I could. I just need to get the balance of ingredients right, that is all. I know I've thought this about the last dozens of trials, but I'm so sure that this is the one. This is where I get it perfect. 

I feel my stomach pang as the liquid starts bubbling more furiously, the colour of the liquid changing from green to orange. Exactly like I wanted, but something's wrong. Frantically, I close the blaze powder valve on the brewing stand to stop the heat. My no-longer-white lab coat flaps at my knees as I move around the bench quickly. It was already heavily stained from the orange and green foam from the last few trials, as are my clothes. I even had to clean my emerald earring last night after a failed test. Only the gods know how the foam got in there. 

I was just glad that the foam had yet to find a way down my shirt and to my necklace with my parents' rings looped on it. I had decided to wear it today after having kept it in a wooden box in my room. I put it away after my first proper fight on the battlefield, I nearly lost them and I couldn't bear it. 

I grip the necklace through my clothes as the potion bottle starts to stutter and shake at boiling point. I slowly start stepping back knowing all too well the result of this disaster. 

"Shit, shit, shit!" I grab the shield I had leaning on the table in the middle of the lab knocking over a vial of something in the process. I crouch down and brace for the explosive results of my mistake. 

George is going to kill us. 

"Is that really what you guys are thinking about right now?" I snap at the voices. 

I squeal a little as I hear the familiar shattering of glass and squelching of the foam. The shield makes small shudders as bits of foam shoot at it. Then the room goes quiet again. 

Cautiously, I peek around the side of the shield and sigh when I see the mess. Bigger than last time. I groan and dump the shield and grab a steel bucket instead. I pull on the orange and green stained sticky gloves and start shovelling handfuls of foam into the bucket. Again. 

It had spread all over the floor, as usual, staining the Blackstone bricks. I decide to get the mop and bleach later. I move off the floor and start shovelling away the foam on the bench. At least I had learnt not to keep anything on the beach beside the brewing stand I was using. 

I pick the glass out and throw it into the bucket too. I go to unscrew the top of what used to be a bottle from the brewing stand, but I bump into something. Something solid that wasn't the brewing stand or a sharp glassy edge. I furrow my brows and fumble around in the foam for the object. My fingers close around the smooth surface. It kind of felt like one of the bottles if they hadn't blown up in the experiment...

Wait... that is a bottle! 

I launch into a frenzy, dropping the bucket on the floor and scooping away the foam with my arms making gross lime and orange stains.