9|| Fundy || Part 2

TW: SWEARING, YELLING, NEGLECT, EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWNS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~ Fundy's P.O.V ~~~~

"Phil look I got junk!" I say reeling in my catch. A glass bottle covered in algae swang in the breeze on the end of my line. We'd been fishing all morning and shop owners were setting up on the docks. A boat has come in earlier full of fish for the L'Manburg market and local fishmonger.

"You got a bottle," Phil observes. I unhook the bottle from the end of the line and frown. This was wrong, there shouldn't be trash in the ocean.

"Ya know what? Fuck humanity, fuck 'em!" I chuck the bottle into the bucket we had with us. It clatters loudly and I see some of it chip and crack.
"Fuck humanity and shit throwing bottles into the water! I'm doing this for Sally," I say quietly.

"Cleaning up the ocean, she'd be proud of you. Next time we come out we'll get better bait and catch more fish," Phil says.
"We'll throw all of them back right?" I ask.
"Yeah definitely, the fish will be just fine," Phil says with a bright smile. A warm smile, the kind of smile the reassures everyone and is designed to make you feel better.

"I'm glad I was here to see this..." Phil and I turn around to find the source of the voice. Ghostbur stands with his hands clasped together close to his chest. He's smiling wistfully. I sigh irritated, I don't feel like dealing with him right now.

Phil puts a hand on my shoulder, I look away from Ghostbur and back at Phil.
"Do what you feel is right," he says simply. I take a deep breath and look back to Ghostbur.

"Did you catch junk?" Ghostbur asks and floats over to our fishless bucket. I follow him with my eyes and reel my line in.
"Yeah I did, I'm trying to clean up the ocean. Make it a better place," I say and set my fishing rod down. I get up from where I was sitting on the end of the dock and put my hands in my pockets and face Ghostbur.

"Why?" he asks innocently.
"Why? Because it's what Sally would have wanted," I say.
"Oh, I guess she would have," Ghostbur meanders off further down the dock. He's completely clueless. He's become an idiot. I huff in annoyance and turn back to Phil.

"See the problem is Phil, Wilbur is Ghostbur. But I can't fish with him. I can't do anything with him. He left me when I needed him. I needed him to be my Dad!" Phil nods sadly. He understands. Suddenly, Ghostbur waves to us and excitedly floats back.

"Hi! How's it going?" Are you fucking kidding me? He forgot?! I huff and look down at my feet.

"We're fishing, I'm teaching him how to fish. He's always wanted to go fishing with his Da-" Phil gets cut off.
"Oh, fishing? That's nice, I come fishing a lot here too, that's how I get my potion stuff! Why do you all sound so sullen and melancholy?" Ghostbur says still completely clueless.

"It's because you're dead," I say sharply.
"I've been dead for a little while now. I don't think I've spoken to you, Fundy, properly for a while either. Last time I spoke to you was..." Ghostbur trails off trying to remember.

"When? When was that?" I ask still annoyed and flick my head back up.
"When I announced I was running for president! And you said you were also going to run! That was the last time I remember properly speaking to you. I was so proud of you, I remember that. That was the last time we spoke I believe," Ghostbur says. I shake my head and let out a sarcastic chuckle.

"That was the last good time we spoke," I say seriously.
"Oh... Well... Anyway, I just came to ask how you guys were doing. I don't really want to go fishing. Did you guys enjoy me booing you? I booed you and made you guys jump."