30 || Engagement

TW: SWEARING, YELLING, FEAR IN GENERAL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~ Ranboo P.O.V ~~~~

I stand up straight and stretch my stiff arms above my head. Despite the snow, I still had to take off my jacket because we'd been working so hard. Above me I hear the rhythmic bangs of Tubbo's hammer on the roof of his house. 

We'd been building his house in Snowchester together. I offered to help since Tubbo had long hours in L'Manburg and because I thought it would be nice to see Tubbo more. I didn't mean to but I'd grown quite attached to him over the time I'd known him. 

Tubbo knew exactly what to say to make me laugh and I never felt out of place. In many ways he was like Y/N, accepting and kind but in other ways, he wasn't. 

"Thanks for getting me out of L'Manburg for a while," I look up at the half-finished ceiling and see Tubbo as he leaps from the beam in the roof. He was building the floor for upstairs which was going to be his room. Like me, Tubbo had taken off his jacket and rolled up the sleeves of his white shirt. 

Tubbo could do spend a lot more time building than me since he trained nearly every day. His stamina was something I'd never understand. I trained with Y/N and Techno but not nearly as much as Tubbo trained himself, and it showed. 

"No problem, what have you been doing in L'Manburg that's made you so busy anyway?" I query and lean back on our table that we'd covered in tools and screws and nails and building plans. 

"Well, I've been connecting L'Manburg with the orphanage in the SMP. People wanted to adopt and we don't have an orphanage. But the amount of effort it has taken to connect everything is absolutely mental!" I chuckle as Tubbo pulls a face to emphasise his exhaustion. 

"That's actually really cool," I say thinking about the idea. 

"Oh! And I've also been trying to fix this weird glitch in the tax system because we got complaints about how married people were paying less," Tubbo sits on the table next to me. I frown trying to make sense of what he was talking about. 

"What does that mean?"

"So, basically the tax system is so broken that if two people are married and one earns significantly less than the other then the tax system fucks up and they pay less than regular people," I can't help but laugh at the strange predicament. 

"That's priceless," I say through my laughter and Tubbo joins in seeing the humour in it with me. 

"The problem is that I can't do anything because it would mean restructuring the entire tax system!" Tubbo throws his hands in the air making me laugh again. 

"Are taxes that expensive?" I look at Tubbo and his eyes widen wildly as he nods. 

"They're way too much! Leftover problems from the SWAG government... Honestly, I will just rage marriage to stop paying so much," Tubbo's deadpan expression makes me burst out laughing again

"Rage marriage?!" I squeak out between gasps for air and Tubbo's gasping laughter joins my own. I sigh deeply and catch my breath feeling soreness in my cheeks from smiling all day. 

"But you're the president!" I counter. 

"That doesn't stop me from paying taxes, taxes are weird and for the state so... yeah, I don't know. It's really shit because I don't get paid much for being president since the way that works is if the country is profiting and our money goes out the door as soon as it's made," Tubbo makes a "humph" noise and leans his head in his hands and his elbows on his knees. I barely understand his half-hearted explanation but I don't think he could explain it better if he tried.