43 || Moving Forward

TW: SWEARING, TRAUMA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tubbo's hits come hard and fast, but I know him too well for him to catch me off guard. I block one and slip past another, I attempt a blow at his stomach. But he catches my fist too. We often trained together, but today I wasn't nearly as cheerful as I usually am in our spars. 

Tommy miraculously had no scars from the bomb that killed him. If I had thought that sentence a week ago I would have weakened, but now it only toughened my skin and made me want to growl. The only scars Tommy had were the lightning scars that cut the skin of his back in two and grappled down his arm until they rested on the back of his right hand. The scars shared a source at the nape of his neck like they slip out of the hair on the back of his head and crash like a waterfall at the top of his hips. 

I lay awake thinking about it for the first night until I came to my conclusion. There was a lot about my abilities that I didn't know, but I did know that I had a particular knack for healing potions. I suspect some of my powers were amplified in the incantation that brought Tommy back. 

I wish I could find out more, ask Tommy if anything else was different besides his scars and vivid, curly, white streak.  But he'd shut me out. 

A glint of sunlight off Tubbo's ring sting my eye and I'm forced to flip backwards to regroup. The hot weather had forced us to abandon the black tee shirts we usually wore when we trained. It left me in my black leggings and a black crop top that wasn't that much different from the bra I wore underneath. Tubbo had swapped for one of Dream's loose tank tops and shorts. We fought barefoot, it gave us a better grip on the grass, and besides, I liked the feeling of the energy in the ground underneath my feet. 

Despite our efforts to shake the summer weather, we were still sweltering. Sweat made our clothes sticky and dripped down our faces and made our hands slippery which made Tubbo curse every time I slipped out of his blocks. 

My thoughts swayed back to Tommy like they tend to do these days. He had been hiding in his room for a while. When we first got him to sit up he didn't want me to leave his side, but as soon as we got him to his room and let him be for a while things started to change. 

I aim a kick at Tubbo's side with an exasperated huff eager to end the brash fight. I know I'm sloppy when Tubbo steps aside and catches my body before slamming the two of us to the ground in a panting heap. I don't even know what he used to get us on the floor. I need to concentrate. 

Desperate to shake the extra heat I roll off Tubbo and into the cool grass. We lay there for a moment trying to catch our breath until Tubbo sits up and swipes the wet hair from his forehead and makes his way to the hose. 

The hose was new. Something Niki had put in to look after the small potted plants on the edge of the verandah whilst I was gone. I still wasn't used to it. 

Tubbo beckons me over and flicks the tap on letting the water run. I try to focus on the feeling of the cool water running from the big green tank that had been hiding in the shade of the house all afternoon. It does nothing to distract my thoughts. 

Crossly I wipe the water from my face and hold my hand out to take the hose. Tubbo hastily runs his hands through his hair and over his face as I hose him down. 

"What's got you so worked up?" he asks as I turn the hose off. I scoff and feel a breeze make the water on my skin feel icy. 

"Why wouldn't I be worked up," I curse and then apologise to Tubbo for my foul tongue. The voice that had invaded my mind after I used the book had made me bitter. I never liked bitter things. Tubbo waves me off knowing the circumstances.