58 || War

TW: SWEARING, YELLING, FIRE, BLOOD, EXTREME VIOLENCE, GORE, LOTS OF DEATH, FEAR, ANXIETY, LOSS

Photo by Petri Levälahti

Also, I looped Experience by Ludovico Einaudi whilst I wrote this, good vibes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tai Shu and Lian had gathered all of the generals to meet with Dream, Sapnap, Punz, Purpled, Ranboo and me before the battle. Techno was running an errand and would be here soon too. We had only one goal today; delay the Dark Army long enough for Tubbo to launch the nukes and turn the city to ashes. After that, we won't need to worry about any support coming for the soldiers that have been deployed. 

My brand new armour glinted quietly in the lantern light of the tent we had chosen. The sun was rising just as I arrived and L'Manburg buzzed with the anticipation of battle. Dream had waited outside the tent for me with an admiring look when he noticed my new armour. However, he chose to comment on the wither roses instead. He called them fitting for the occasion, I couldn't agree more. 

"The Dark Army is coming in what seems to be four different battalions, each containing about two thousand soldiers," Tai Shu's stare doesn't leave my eyes. I couldn't help but feel intimidated by the man, he reminds me of a bear. 

"Standard weaponry just like every other battalion, but tell your troops to expect surprises," Punz addresses the generals. 

"The last thing we have to remember is that Schlatt has nukes now too. The technology is old but they have a calibre that we don't understand. They could be faulty and only minorly effective or be able to wipe out our entire country," my voice sounds as grim as I feel. We had no real knowledge of Schlatt's nuclear strength, only our own. 

All eyes move from me to the tent entrance as Phil and Techno cut through the room to the table in its centre. Phil tucks his wings closer to his body so he can fit in the small space whist Techno's mere presence makes people inch away in fear. 

"The crows are patrolling," Phil says. 

"And the iron golems are ready to be assembled," Techno finishes. His eyes dart across the room but double-take when he spots me. He squints a little bit as he analyses the armour making sure it fits perfectly. 

"Take a picture, it will last longer," I tease causing the room to chuckle. 

"Fits exactly like I thought it would," he says back with a smirk. 

I thank him and we continue with the meeting. Schlatt's forces would come from the forest according to the crows. Dream, Punz, Purpled and Sapnap outline our response strategy and Tai Shu jumps in occasionally with recommendations. Once Dream and I give the generals their specific orders and battalions, the room is dismissed. 

I move to follow Dream but someone grabs my wrist stopping me from following him. I turn and see Ranboo's mismatched eyes, behind them were thoughts desperate to get free. I turn back to Dream and gesture for him to go on without me. I'll meet him on the battlefield soon. I wait until everybody's gone before I speak. 

"What's wrong?" I ask. It was a dumb question. 

"We're going to war..." he starts but stumbles unable to finish his sentence. But I know exactly what he was going to say; he's worried about us. He's worried about Tubbo, Tommy, Techno, Phil and me especially but also everybody else who he had come to know. 

"I'm not going to let anything happen to anybody-"

"You don't know that."

"I can at least try."