47 || Great Responsibility

TW: SWEARING, JUDGMENT, PRESSURE, STRESS

(Also worldbuilding rant at the end of the chapter so the chapter itself is only about 5300 words but my rant is an extra 1400 ooops)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I run my hands over the blue fabric gently. For the first time, I wasn't going to wear a uniform in a rebellion. I had no need to. Still, I miss that feeling of comradery that wearing the L'Manburg uniform brought me, brought us. 

My L'Manburg uniform had remained tucked away in my closet for a long time. It was torn in some places and stained in others but I had mended and cleaned it the best I could. The yellow trims were worn and the buttons were no longer shiny. It was nostalgic. 

I run my thumb over the flag I had stitched into the sleeve when I joined all that time ago. I have carried so many flags. More flags and causes in the past year than I ever would have thought to carry in my entire life. I held them all proudly, but I was never there for the cause exactly. I was there for my friends. 

I had adopted Techno's style since living in the Anarchist Commune. Loose shirts and fitted pants with some sort of belt were my usual go-to nowadays and I never went without my emerald earring or crown. They are beautiful things, silver and delicately woven around clear crystals, or, in the case of the earring, a sparkling emerald. I had tied away my hair nearly into braids so my hair was out of my face and in a way that my crown would sit perfectly. 

"Y/N! We're ready to go!" Michael's excited voice bumps me from my daze. I look to him in the doorway and see that Shroud is with him, watching me shyly. I grab the cloak Techno gave me and my favourite boots. 

"Well, let's go then!"

I follow them down the stairs and out the door to where the others were getting their horses ready. Tubbo and Tommy take Michael and Shroud respectively and we set off for Snowchester.

Dream had left early this morning. He had to meet Sam in the SMP and all the builders they had collected. They were rebuilding the SMP prison. Dream said Sam's plans were ambitious, but not impossible. It had taken a bite out of the city funds but Dream was sure it would pay off eventually.  

We reach Snowchester and I smile at the progress Tubbo and Ranboo had made. The platforms they were building around the factory were basically finished, and in the distance, I saw where they were mapping an area for a new build. The country walls are not finished yet, but it seemed like they are nearly there.  

"Is Tubbo in the factory?" I ask Ranboo as we dismount. 

"Probably," he shrugs. I let Tommy and Ranboo take the kids inside first before I head over there. I knock on the door before I push it open. 

The room is sticky and hot and I see the furnaces burning brightly. Tubbo looks up from the plans he was eyeing and I notice the face shield atop his head. He had swapped his regular shirt for a singlet and was dripping with sweat from being in the steaming room for so long. He waves absentmindedly. 

"What are you working on?" I ask. 

"Nukes. Jack's supposed to be here too but he got called to guard a village so I'm working alone for the time being," he explains. I sigh knowing exactly which village. 

"Sorry, Lorelei, Myles, Puffy and Niki are currently meeting our reinforcements," I feel bad for forcing Tubbo to work alone. In a way it was my fault, I called for more guards in the village. Tubbo only chuckles at my unease.