13|| A Tale From Long Ago

TW: SWEARING, YELLING, GASLIGHTING, BETRAYAL, MENTIONS OF ALCOHOL, MANIPULATION

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ah, Mr Black! I'm sure you've heard of Her Grace Y/N L/N," Schlatt says smoothly as we approach a young man not too much older than me. Despite being in military uniform like all the other men in the ballroom, he stood out. There was something about Mr Black that made him stand apart from the rest. Maybe it was his stature or the confidence that radiated off him, but he stuck out like a sore thumb. 

He was wearing a military uniform embellished with what seemed to be dozens of medals. He was a very high ranking officer, I felt the need to curtsey but remember what Schlatt told me. Mr Black was not much taller than JSchlatt and had longer hair that was smartly styled atop his head. His grin was sly and his eyes were a cloudy grey. His appearance alone made me a little uneasy, but he was the man leading the war effort.

"Mr Black, it's an honour to meet someone I hear so much about," I say sweetly and smile broadly. He sends a sly smile back.

"Your Grace, I am most humbled by your words that someone so regal as you might be honoured to meet a lowly soldier such as myself," he bowed deeply and kisses the back of my hand in greeting. Many women would have called him an attractive young man, but I felt no attraction.

"Mr Black you flatter me," I gush and pretend to be shy. Better to be on his good side than on his bad, it was an instinctive response at the point. Be on everyone's good side so I won't be killed. 
"A goddess such as yourself shouldn't be so modest," Mr Black chuckled. Wow, he was seriously smooth.

"Seth, would you get me another glass of that whisky we were drinking?" Schlatt jumps in and speaks quickly. Like a true soldier, Mr Black stands up tall and nods his head before disappearing to find a servant.

"How are you enjoying the festivities, Y/N?" Schlatt asks watching the room.
"I'm enjoying meeting your senior officers, they've got many stories to tell," I say honestly.
"Good good, now, there's a guitar in the corner next to the band. I'd like you to play something for us, everybody loves you so they'll love it," Schlatt puts his hands on my shoulders and starts guiding me swiftly to the band. I nearly trip on the hem of my dress.

"Uh yeah I can play something but I don't know how good it will be. It's been a while since the last time I played," I said quickly regaining my composure and Schlatt simply chuckles.
"Oh don't worry, I know you'll do just fine," Schlatt chuckles again and I frown confused. It must be the alcohol making him giggly.

Schlatt ushers me to the band who give me a stool to sit on and the acoustic guitar. I run my fingers over the wood, it's beautifully handcrafted. I'd never seen a guitar this good, all the guitars I'd played were old and passed down from parents to children. I give the strings a few light plucks, they're tuned perfectly.

I flick my head up at the sound of Schlatt tapping a butter knife on the side of his whisky glass. I can see Mr Black lurking against the wall nearby. Everyone in the room turns gracefully to see Schlatt and pause their conversations.

"Hey hey quiet! Thank you ladies and Gentlemen for coming here tonight. I thought to kick off the party a little bit that I'd invite a very special guest. Her Grace is going to play us a little song," the crowd clapped politely and the room seemed to glitter from the movement.

"Y/N, play something at a nice pace," Schlatt murmurs to me. I nod and give him a small smile. He moves away and I feel a nervousness build up inside my chest making it bubble and constrict at the same time. I don't even know what to play.