Chapter 91: An angel's deal

Not proofread - as always lol

Byungho couldn't see one thing when the dark smoke enveloped him and his entire group. They all had sprung back from their original spot, but it had not been enough to fully escape. In a fruitless attempt to dissolve the smoke, Byungho had stretched out his wings and let them flutter. It didn't do much, but at least it brought Chan to him.

Together the two found their way out of the smoke, but they didn't find anyone of their group or Taeil. Instead they came face to face with a group of five young hunters, who lost no time to talk to them and immediately started attacking.

Byungho's golden magic was flickering more and more with each spell he casted and each blow he deflected. The only advantage he had was the fact that Seungmin had been right. His magic wasn't dissolved by the crystals of the hunters. This had surprised the group of young hunters as well as Chan when Byungho had fixated two of the hunters in their current position with magic vines that seemingly did not care about the gleaming crystals that tried to dissipate them.

Chan covers Byungho's back, dashing forward when one of the young hunters came too close to the angel-demon mix for comfort. Yet, one of the group was particularly keen on the idea of landing a hit on Byungho. She fought with a long sword, half of her face was covered by a mask and her hair was either a dark shade of brown or endless black. The one thing that stood out about her though was the violet crystal that hung around her neck.

She made, a lot more often than all of her companions, a reckless attempt to strike Byungho and was always thrown back by either Byungho's shield or Chan's wolf form bouncing at her to knock her off balance. Still, Byungho was convinced that it wouldn't take long and she would land a fatal blow on him.

The fight they fought was not winnable for Byungho and Chan, because they were forced to remain on the defense where the power of the magic user dwindled more and more. The golden magic of the brunet became fainter and fainter with each shield he conjured up and Chan noticed his partner's exhaustion like it was his second nature.

When Byungho began to use his wings to push the hunters back instead of his magic, Chan fell in step beside the other. The brunet looked to the wolf hybrid in confusion, his wings flaring up again when he saw one of the hunters dashed towards them again in the corner of his eye.

Chan suddenly rushed forward again, pushing the hunter off balance before retreating. The wolf hybrid then quickly looked to his partner and tilted his head towards the forest. He wanted for them to run. Mentally, Byungho also added that Chan proposed the idea of loosing the hunters in the forest and then trying to regroup with their friends.

The burnet gave the wolf a curt nod and prepared himself to follow Chan's lead. The hybrid was better at weaving through the hunters and dashing into the forest than he will ever be, so it was only logical to follow Chan's lead. Besides, Byungho had the option of jumping into the sky and making his escape with the help of his wings.

Byungho let his wings flare out again, brushing Chan's flank. It looked like an accident, an action nobody paid much attention, but it was a wordless communication between the wolf hybrid and the angel-demon mix. It was a clear signal.

Chan let a low growl escape his throat, pretending to attack the group of young hunters. They automatically braced themselves for an attack that never came. Chan dashed towards them only to sharply turn to the side an dash into the forest. Byungho let a mighty gush of wings crash against the group of hunters, knocking them off balance before he used his wings to propel himself into the direction where Chan had taken off.

The two young creatures dashed through the forest at a neck-breaking rate. Byungho's wings tucked themselves to his back to not hinder the brunet while he weaved through the forest behind Chan.