Chapter 55: Fallen angel

Byungho laid on his back, staring at the ceiling of his room. Yesterday was an really eventful day, but he was worried about Seungmin. After the redhead had talked to his mother, Lilith, the young demon changed, but not in a necessarily bad way. He just became more serious and focused. Even though he had said yesterday that he would head to bed soon since he was tired, a part of Byungho believed that the redhead spend the night in their father's library searching for some kind of answer.

The brunette sighed and sat up. He hoped his little brother really went to bed and didn't stay up all night.

A light knock on his room's door pulled Byungho out of his thoughts. "Come in", he called out, knowing that it was either one of his brothers or his mother. The door was opened by his mother, Eve, but something was off since she didn't smile warmly and wished him a "Good morning" like usual. She just silently closed the door behind her with a rather distressed look on her face.

"Mum, what's the matter?", Byungho asked, standing up from his bed to meet his mother in the middle of the room. Eve sighed deeply, avoiding to look into Byungho's eyes directly. The brunette noticed the way his mother held her right hand with her left one when he approached her. He could see the movement over her left index finger gently stroking over the golden wedding ring on her right ring finger. If her distress wasn't clear before, it surely was now.

"I talked with your father and Lilith about the current situation since Seungmin's behavior from yesterday evening worried me greatly", Eve began to explain. Her gaze was casted downwards, but she slowly raised it to look at her son. Something dreading was in her blue eyes, letting Byungho's stomach lightly cramp with anxiety. He had never seen his mother like this in his whole life.

"I may have to ask you for something you will dislike", she admitted, obviously not being sure of what else to say. Her gaze dropped from Byungho's face back to the ground. The brunette felt a bit of anxiety being take off his shoulders. It was weird that he felt a bit relieved, but he would do anything to help his mother even if he disliked it. He slowly took his mother's hands into his own, letting her look up again.

"I will do it if it helps you", he answered, looking directly into his mother's blue eyes to reassure her of his will to help. He knew he had convinced her when a small, loving smile made its way onto the blond angel's lips and her eyes began to radiate their usual warmth. She gently freed her hands from Byungho's feather light grip, so she could lay them lovingly onto her son's cheeks.

"I really don't deserve you", she almost whispered, warmth lacing her tone before letting her hands drop down. Byungho wanted to protest, but he didn't know how. His mother was kind, loving and beautiful in every way. She deserved more than the world could give to her, more than he could give her.

Byungho stopped thinking about protesting when he saw his mother's eyes darken. Her beautiful blue eyes were slowly clouded by dread and a bit of resentment, which was something Byungho had never seen his mother's eyes do. She looked at him still with dread and resentment held deep in her gaze, but there was also a bit of hope.

"We need to go to heaven, so we can talk to the angels about the current situation here on earth," she started, "Yesterday, Lucifer and Lilith told me how many lives were already lost in the span of just a month." Her face contorted with pain that was not caused by physical injury, but her own empathy.

"I wish I had known sooner what was really going on. I maybe could have done something. This isn't what the gods wanted, so we need to talk to them through the angels", Eve explained, letting her gigantic white wings become visible. Byungho was a bit taken back by the sudden appearance of his mother's pure white angel wings, but even more startled was he by what she had said. Did she really plan to return to heaven to prevent the war between the supernatural creatures and hunters from happening? Byungho chased that question out of his mind as soon as he thought it. The answer was a simple, straightforward "Yes". His mother would do anything for the sake of the world and its people if she had even the smallest of chances.