Chapter 38: Hunters

Changbin never thought he could become tiered from using his supernatural speed but he was proven wrong. Running around the fire multiple times in search of people, who needed his help was exhausting even for a vampire with his abilities.

The vampire prince also wasn't able to find anyone. Felix seemed to be the only one, who was near the fire. Maybe the rest of the cat hybrids already ran away? Changbin shook his head lightly. He couldn't stop searching now, what if he had missed a clue or something similar.

This was probably the only time Changbin wished he had the excellent senses of a hybrid or werewolf instead of just average hearing, a little bit of night vision and a tendency to smell blood easily.

The vampire stopped at a safe distance to the fire and smoke to catch his breath. The flames seemed to grow and eat more and more of the forest even though the snow should keep the fire from getting bigger. Plus the amount of smoke, which accompanied the fire was just too much for it to be natural.

"This can't be a natural fire or created by humans. It has to be caused by magic but who would do such a thing?", Changbin asked himself when he eyed the flames from the safe distance. He was still breathing heavily from running around so much.

Suddenly the vampire heard a high pitched scream from not far away. Without thinking much about it, Changbin ran towards the scream and therefore closer to the fire again. He tried not to breath in too much of the thick, dark smoke which lingered in the air like mist.

The vampire looked around, searching for the person, who had screamed, getting closer and closer to the fire. Suddenly Changbin's eyes fell onto a pair of cat ears. Orange cat ears. Without hesitation Changbin ran towards the pair of ears, spotting a female cat hybrid around forty who was buried under the trunk of a tree which had already caught fire.

The teary eyes of the cat hybrid snapped towards Changbin when he stopped. The vampire was immediately reminded of Minho and Felix when he looked at the woman. The orange cat ears and hair, the piercing green cat eyes and facial features just screamed "related to the Lee brothers".

"Who are you?", the woman hissed in both pain and distrust. The vampire prince didn't blame her for the threatening tone since she was trapped and didn't know who Changbin was. He could be her enemy or a human for all she knew.

"Changbin. A friend of your son Felix", Changbin answered as clam as he could muster and hoped that he hadn't misjudged the woman's looks. "Felix...", the woman trailed off a little, seemingly getting caught in her worries. "I will bring you to him when I got you out from there", Changbin immediately added and slowly got closer to the trapped woman, hoping she won't see him as a threat anymore.

"Than- Watch out!", the woman suddenly screamed, making Changbin wipe his head around and dodge a kind of sling that was thrown his way just in time. The vampire was met with the face of a man, who was dressed in black and armed from head to toe with weapons Changbin knew belonged in the category "hunters' weapons" but he also had a red crystal dangling around his neck.

The young vampire was frozen in place for a short time until he heard Felix's mother speak up again. "Run. Run away and take Felix with you. They already got my whole clan and mate. They don't need to get my son too", she hissed quietly so only Changbin could hear her while she stared the hunter down. The vampire prince didn't know how to react and stayed frozen in his spot, not leaving the hunter out of his eyes, who was now pointing a crossbow at him.

"Run!", Felix's mother suddenly screamed kickstarting Changbin's flight mechanisms. The vampire ran away, making use of a supernatural speed he didn't know he could use. He had heard the arrow being shot into a tree but he didn't dare to stop and look. He just ran away faster than ever, going back to the place where he left Felix.