Chapter 68: Distrust and hidden fears

There was a knock on the door, which made Zendala look up from the documents in front of her. She fixated the door with her eyes before she said "Come in" in a neutral tone. Nobody had made an appointment with her, so she readied herself for anything. The door was slowly opened by a figure hidden under a cloak. Zendala knew that it was Shiela in an instant, which made Zendala let out a breath.

"You scared me for a second, sister", the female warlock commented and leaned back into her arm chair. Shiela let the cloak's hood fall from her head. She wore a light frown on her face which usually foretold that she was bringing bad news. Zendala leaned forward again.

"I bring bad news, sister", Shiela started, but instead of continuing to speak she stepped to the side and let another person enter the room. Reinhard. The tall hunter with the black mask let the door close behind his back and for a moment he just stood there with nothing but calmness radiating off him.

The look on Zendala's face became dark and she slowly stood up. A bad feeling was tugging at her. Even though Reinhard didn't really show it, Zendala knew he had something on his mind she would dislike greatly. It also worried her that Reinhard was obviously aware of Shiela and her relationship to Zendala.

"What is this about?", the blue-haired warlock demanded to know, looking straight into Reinhard's eyes. The tall hunter didn't show any reaction and let Zendala' eyes pierce through him without an eyebrow twitching before he began talking.

"I have come to question your motives and loyalty and how many more secrets there are I should know about", Reinhard said calmly, yet Zendala was able to pick up the faint trace of anger in his voice. The female warlock straightened her back and didn't break eye contact with Reinhard. She wouldn't back down. Not now, not ever.

"For someone who has declared me their queen this is an unbelievable and also insulting accusation", Zendala retorted and crossed her arms over her chest. A spark of anger was seen in Reinhard's eyes but he remained calm.

"You want to kill every last supernatural creature because you feel wronged by them, proving that they are nothing more than monsters even to their own kind. You joined forces with me because I want the supernatural creature gone as much as you do. I declared you my queen, because I saw your brilliance, passion and your leading abilities. I admired you but as time went on I saw how many secrets you have, how many things you try to hide from the world, from me. This made me question what your true endgame is supposed to look like", Reinhard stated in a firm voice and then he glanced at Shiela. The second Reinhard would raise a hand against Shiela would be his last.

"It made me also question who else is your ally, or a person you want to protect from your own plan. Who is out there that you treasure?", the hunter continued and fixated Zendala with his eyes once more. The woman with the dark blue didn't budge for a second and just continued to stare into the hunter's eyes. Zendala knew Reinhard was asking about Han Jisung and she also knew she couldn't hide the boy's relation to her much longer.

"Shiela is my source of information for a lot of things. She has to stay undercover no matter what, or we might loose the things she can provide and for Han Jisung. He is my son and was my hope for this terrible world until he was taken from me. If he is hurt or killed I can't guarantee for anyone's safety anymore", Zendala said lowly, not breaking eye contact with Reinhard for even a second. The hunter showed no reaction until he slowly nodded and broke eye contact.

"I understand now. I'm sorry for questioning you, my queen", the hunter apologized and bowed his head lightly. Zendala only narrowed her eyes, knowing Reinhard wasn't one hundred percent sincere but neither was she.

"If you can't trust me, trust in our goal", the female warlock stated, not taking her eyes off the tall hunter. Reinhard nodded again without looking into her eyes.