Fifty Six - Saudade.

"Deanna! Please you gave all the adults jobs, why can't I just go on the run with them?"

Deanna sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose, "Fine. But only if Aidan says it's okay and you can permanently go on runs if Aidan says you proved yourself once you're back, okay?"

"Yes! Thank you so much!"

"Remember only if it's okay with Aidan, and ask your dad and mom first!"

"M-my mom?' I stuttered

"Carol. She's your mother isn't she?"

"No...my mom's dead, she was infected and I had to shoot her and my step-dad."

"I am so sorry sweetie, I shouldn't have said anything...just make sure it's okay with your dad."

"Yes." I mumbled glumly, I scurried away deciding not to ask my dad because he'd know I was upset and would be convinced it would distract me and therefore he would not let me go, so I went and found Aidan and asked if I could go on the run with them.

"Well there's not much space left, but your small I'm sure we could make some room. But take one of these." He handed a rifle over to me and lightly pushed me into the back of the van, where Tara, Glenn, Eugene and Noah were all sat.

"Hey you're joining us!" Noah smiled, shuffling along so there was just enough room for me. "Are you sure you'll be okay doing this?"

"Dude, have you seen her fight those things?" Tara exclaimed, "she's fifteen for god sake and she's probably killed more walkers than all of us!"

"She's right." Eugene glanced up, "I've calculated since I have met you all from the time range of being on your own and the walker kills I've seen myself and this is a rough count by the way, she's killed 394. Rick is a close second with 351 and then it's Glenn with 307."

"In. Your. Face." I smirked at Noah.

The van started up and Dub-step music began to play from the speakers, making the entire vehicle shake. Glenn and Tara both laughed whilst Noah rolled his eyes and shrugged and Eugene held his hands over his ears.

But there was one lyric in the song that scared me. Now you're going to die. And I couldn't help but glance at my family.

******

"We should check for more exits, in case we need to get out of there in a hurry."

"I've got an exit strategy for you, use the front entrance."

"He's right." Aidan said, "it wouldn't hurt to check."

They all split off into pairs, Aidan and Nicholas, Tara and Eugene and Noah and Glenn. Whilst I decided to stay alone in case anyone needed help at a moments notice. Everywhere surrounding the warehouse seemed vacant, except for the courtyard which was full of walkers but luckily had gates to hold them in.

"Looks like the front way is the only way." I huffed, following the others inside.

It was dark inside of the warehouse, the only rays of light coming from our torches, footsteps could be heard coming from all different directions but I knew it was only the others seeing as we had scoped most of the place out.

Excitement coursed through my veins as I heard Glenn, Noah, Tara and Eugene all cheer in the aisle next to me, obviously having found whatever it was that we needed for the electricity system back at Alexandria.

But before I even knew what was happening a walker had stumbled out of the darkness towards Aidan and Nicholas, it wore a protective mask over it's face so we knew it would be hard to kill. Aidan began shooting at it, bullets penetrating it's rotting skin every couple of seconds. But just when Aidan had knocked the walker to the floor to pull it's mask off and kill it, it began to sit back up again causing Aidan to use another bullet, but a grenade was strapped to the walkers chest and before anyone could alert him, the bullet pierced into the grenade sending us all backwards into shelves and debre.