Five - Nightmares.

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

A loud bang erupted through the prison and I winced as I placed both hands over my ears, I folded in on myself, forcefully pressing my forehead against my knees in fear, wanting to make it all go away.

"That..." I mumbled

"Lydia what are you talking about?" he sounded panicked now and without even having to look up, I could tell he was staring at me as if was insane.

My eyes locked with his and I could see the mixture of complete fear and confusion on his face, so I decided to suck it up, to hide my feelings away purely for Carl's benefit. Even if I was going crazy as a result of everything.

"You're right..." I shook my head, "I'm just hearing things."

"Come here." he whispered wrapping his arms around my waist as he lightly kissed my clothed shoulder.

"Everything's gonna be okay, it's all just your imagination. Nobody's going to hurt you."

Carl paused for a moment before he detached himself from me and stood up.

"I'll go get you some water" he offered

"Carl?" I spoke, feeling a lot calmer than before.

"Yeah?"

"Thank you."

"It's no problem at all."

"I almost forgot this." he chuckled before picking his dads hat up of the ground, he adjusted it over his eyes.

"Before you go, just remember to stay away from the tombs and take your gun."

I picked it up from the cement ground, it's steel surface cold in my hand.

"See you later cowboy!" I teased, poking at his sheriffs hat before he left the cell.

"Try not to miss me too much!"

"That won't be a problem!"

A few minutes passed by until he came back empty handed, an adorably cute frown pinned to his face.

"We're running low on water so we can't afford to waste any, I'm going on a run with Daryl, Dad and Michonne to get more, you think you'll need anything else?"

"I'm fine."

"Okay."

"Wait!" I called out, "Can I come too?"

"I'm not sure, I gotta ask my dad first..."

"Okay." I sighed

Another few minutes passed by until he showed his face again.

"Everything's cleared up, you can go." He nodded, "Just bring a weapon and that stupid face of yours."

*

*

*

*

*

*

-1hour later

"Okay remember if we aren't back before sundown don't go out looking for us, wait until morning... I love you Lori, stay safe." Rick whispered to his wife before leaving in the pick up truck we were all in.

"I hope I get the chance to be like that someday." Carl whispered as his hand ghosted over my own.

"What do you mean?"