Forty Eight - Crash & Burn.

*Daryl's POV*

Four things ran through my mind. Four of the biggest things in my life.

My kids. Luke. Dani. Lydia. Sophie.

My brother. Merle, god bless him.

My group.

And lastly...Carol, if I don't survive this. Maybe she can.

-4 hours earlier-

"It looks like a dog wiped it's butt across the canvas." I chuckled

"Well I think it's kind of beautiful..." Carol sighed "let's load up on supplies, while we're here might as well try and get a meal out of it."

Something in the distance caught my eye, I couldn't make out what it was but it was definitely important. I could feel it. My hand gripped the sniper as i brought it up to my eye, I peered through the scope and a car was hanging through the rails of a highway, it was definitely the people who took Beth's truck, it had the white medical crosses.

"Look!" I said " right out there! It's one of theirs!"

I pressed my index finger against the cool glass of the window, beth was so close, I just knew it. I would find her, one way or another.

********

"Daryl don't!" Carol warned me

"Stand up. Drop your weapons! Now!" A tall coloured boy yelled

He bent down and grabbed my crossbow of the floor.

"I'm sorry for doing this...you're strong you can fight them..."

He tore a large hole in the side of one of the tents, and walkers stumbled out coming towards me and carol, there was no chance to stop him at that point, we only needed a chance to survive.

Once the walkers were dead, we sprinted off down the corridor trying to follow the boys path, but he was nowhere in sight. Maybe a walker got him...

"We need to find him!" I yelled

"All we need right now is to find beth...okay?' She tried to calm me

"Fine."

*******

"It'll tip. I'm lighter let me do it." Carol said, placing a hand on my shoulder, I shook it off and climbed inside the overhanging truck searching for anything we would need as a clue to where Beth could be.

"Daryl, hurry the walkers are getting closer... We'll have to fight our way through." She sighed, shuffling towards the doors of the truck.

"Wait a gurney? Is that place some kind of hospital?" I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Daryl! We gotta go!" She called, climbing out of the truck.

There was at least 20 more than there was before, they were swarming us. I peered back at the truck, as I stabbed another walker. Carol was climbing back inside, that meant I needed to. But that meant no way out except...down.

I couldn't risk getting bitten, so I climbed inside and shut the doors behind me. The torn leather of the chair scraped my bare arm, as I slid into the front seat.

"We'll be okay." I tried to reassure her more than myself "you'll be okay."

Four things ran through my mind. Four of the biggest things in my life.

My kids. Luke. Dani. Lydia. Sophie.

My brother. Merle, god bless him.

My group.

And lastly carol, if I couldn't survive this. Maybe she could.

We came crashing to the ground, the wheels and gears crunching beneath us. My vision blurred and my mind went fuzzy, suddenly I was back in highschool staring at the beautiful girl who was way out of my league. I was a six and she was a ten. And she became the mother of Luke.

I was looking down at my first born child, happily sucking on his thumb, when his eyes opened and stared up at me. My heart melted.

Then it was my first day at my new work, the bosses assistant was smiling at me from the far end of the office. She was working on the photo copier, and got the sleeve of her shirt caught, I went over and helped her and the minute I stared into her eyes I knew I was in love with her. She was the mother to my second child. Lydia.

But she left me, I barely brought up either of my kids. That was my only regret in life.

"Daryl!" A voice shouted, tearing me away from the darkness.

"Huh?" I asked, glancing quickly around me.

Walkers were falling off the highway onto the top of the car, terrifying carol and secretly me.

*******

"Wait! You were at the hospital? Was there a blonde girl there?"

"Beth?" He questioned "you know Beth?"

"She's a part of our group." Carol stated

"She helped me escape, she's still there." He said "they probably heard that gunshot before, they're coming to find us we need to leave! Now!"

"The basement to the hospital is right across the street, we just need to get out there and hide."

We ran through the halls, aiming our guns upwards at every turn. Just as I saw carol reach the doors, Noah tripped and fell on his bad ankle, I sighed grabbing the back of his shirt and pulling him to his feet.

Just as I was about to step outside, a car launched itself into carol, she flew across the windshield like a rag doll. I tried to help, but Noah gripped my arm holding me back.

"Look! They've got medical supplies! A doctor! They can help her! She won't survive without them, do you want that?"

But I didn't want that. Not for carol.