Sixty Six - Gaining It Back.

"Can I see it?"

"Lydia you've already seen it."

"I just want to know that you're healing and it's not infected and-"

Carl shook his head and pressed a small kiss to my forehead, holding his hand in my hair to support himself.

"Quit worrying about me I can take care of myself and I can take care of you."

"You shouldn't have to take care of me Carl..."

"Hey..." He placed his hand over my own, "You lost a leg because of me and even after that you took care of me, whether we were together or not... Now it's my turn to take care of you."

"I never thought he would do it." I let out a sigh.

I repositioned myself so I was resting in between Carl's legs, his arms around my waist and my back against his front, whilst my head fell back against his shoulder. His hand slipped into mine and everything bad that had happened between us was forgotten.

"What do you mean?" He knew exactly what I meant.

"I thought I could change him, he was losing Enid and I was losing you and we were there for each other. I thought he could be like us, maybe he was, like us I mean, but he was pushed and pushed and he just cracked. I don't regret helping him, but I don't regret him dying either. You lived, you're alive that's all I ever wanted."

"You know what I regret?"

I could feel his breath on the side of my neck.

"Not fighting hard enough to get you out of that crowd of walkers. I thought you were dead, I didn't want it to be true, but the thought was there."

"Well I'm glad you didn't because I got to say goodbye to her."

"But I didn't."

"I'm sorry Carl."

"It's been a month and I'm still not over it."

"We're never gonna be over it, she was our best friend."

"Usually it's so easy, there's always a distraction to stop the pain catching up with you but this time there isn't and I'm scared to be without her... I loved her."

"I loved her too." I held his face in my hands, "She was our sister but think of it this way... She doesn't have to live in fear or angst or pain anymore."

"But we do."

*

*

*

*

*

*

"Carl!"

"Carl! Would you stop that?" Rick yelled from the kitchen as Carl continuously threw a tennis ball against the wall.

"Coral." I chuckled

"Call me that again." He narrowed his eyes, a small smirk tugging at the corners of his lips.

"Carl!"

"Denise said she wanted to talk to you." Carl called out

"Would you come here? I can't hear you."

Carl let out an over exaggerated groan before tossing his tennis ball to me, he stepped out of the hall and in front of his dad, I followed behind.

"Denise said she wanted to talk to you." They said simultaneously

"You heard me?"

"Just thought I'd annoy you a little."