Forty One - The Past Of Us.

'what are you thinking about?' Carl asked. Everyone was asleep, except for us as we stared out the crack of the train cart, walkers rattled against terminus's fences, as Luke snored lightly from beside me, his large head resting on my shoulder.

'the past. everything before all of this started...'

*flashback*

it was Summer 0'9 and the two of us sat on the hill, my head resting on his shoulder, of course back then it didn't mean anything since he was 9 and I was 8, we never really knew how to handle our feelings, we just both knew we liked each other...

'Carl?' I whispered, staring at the side of his face

'yeah lyds?'

'would you like some ice cream?' I smirked

'sure.' he smiled

I slowly unpeeled the paper from the cornetto, setting the wrapper down on the grassy hill.

'here you go.' I said smugly, shoving the icy substance into his face, then jumping from the ground and running away, towards the trampoline.

'BOO!' Carl screamed, from directly behind me, making me fall face first into the paddling pool.

'CARL GRIMES!' I screeched, diving up from the cold water.

'oh god...' he muttered, taking a small step back.

'it's okay.' I smiled, brushing some of the water off of my knee high shorts, I used to dress a little more boyish back then, wearing long shorts and baggy T-shirts, I mean I still do but a little more Girlier.

'how about a hug?' I smirked

'no way.' he laughed 'oh. your serious aren't you?'

'yep.' I said, hugging him before he had the chance to run.

'your freezing!' he laughed, finally wrapping his arms around me

'I know...' I shivered, but still happy I managed to pretty much soak him from head to toe.

'here...' he smiled, taking off his red hoodie and wrapping it around my shoulders.

'thanks.' I smiled, quickly pecking his cheek. we both blushed in sync, walking back inside my house...

*end of flashback*

'do you remember the time we sat on the hill in my back garden and I shoved ice cream in your face?'

'yeah...and I scared you and you fell into the pool.' he chuckled

'I miss those days, it was so much simpler back then...' I sighed, nestling my head into the crook of his neck.

'I know...'

'Carl?'

'what?'

'have you ever thought about what it would be like if none of this had happened, how everything was normal and we could grow up and go on to have a family and kids?'

'I thought about them, but separately I thought of how if none of this had happened, i'd be able to grow up and get the perfect job in Nebraska and buy a apartment and how you could come live with me, but if none of this had of happened I don't think we would've have happened.'

'me either...'

'so I'm glad it did, because I can't do this without you.' he smiled, kissing my forehead then moving down to my lips.

'have you ever thought about getting married and having kids?'

'I have.'

'and?'

'I thought about it when, you got pregnant ,I thought about how I would be the perfect daddy to our son, and when we lost him, I was...gutted, I felt like my heart had been torn out of my chest by a walker, I never got over it, he was my baby boy and then he was just gone in a click of my fingers...but i still had you so I managed. and in all honesty ,I was going to propose to you when I was a little older, I raided a jewelry store looking for food, and I noticed it in the smashed glass case, it was the only one that hadn't been taken, it was plain but perfect...'

'do you still have it?' I asked

'yeah'

'good...'

'this is gonna sound dumb, but will you marry me if I don't die first?'

'...yes...' I choked a tear rolling down my face.

he slowly placed the ring on my finger, and I held up my hand, letting the small amount of light glaze over it. he was right it USED to be plain, but now...he had written on it using black sharpie, the words...

"I need you here with me..."