Forty Two - Only One Can Win.

I couldn't count the days we had been in the train cart, but what had confused me most was...if they wanted us dead, why were they giving us food? you wouldn't give somebody food, if you wanted them dead...you'd let them starve wouldn't you?

'are you okay sweetheart?' my dad asked, feeling my forehead.

'I'm fine dad...just thinking...' I reassured him, not so smoothly.

'what are you thinking about?' he furrowed his eyebrows, staring down at me as I thought of a way to ask.

'who was that girl?' I asked

'what girl?' he asked, scratching the back of his neck confusedly.

'her name was on the wall... she had the last name as us, is she really our cousin?' I hoped, I hoped she was. but in a way I didn't want her to be, that meant another person to lose...I already lost my mom, andrea, beth, T-dog, my step-dad, oscar, ash, axel, Mark, Carol, Tyreese, Mika, Lizzie...Judith, Patrick, Connor, Lori.

I didn't want to lose another person I cared about...

'she's your cousin...your uncle Merle's kid...'

'Dani Dixon... it's catchy, I like it...' I smiled slightly, resting my head comfortably on my father's shoulder.

'she's 15...your uncle Merle lost her on the highway, when it all started...

they came in every direction, beating on the car. I was with them you see, and your uncle Merle, tried to drive through them, but they wouldn't budge, so Dani climbed out of the car and ran. Me and Merle, went after her, but we only found her shoe, so we thought she was dead, but obviously not...'

'I hope she's alive, I don't want to lose-'

I was interrupted by a high pitched noise, ringing through the air...it sounded like...feedback, from a microphone...

"Prisoners." Gareth's voice said, coming from a speaker that we had hoped was broken, in the corner of the train cart.

"what do you want with us?" Luke shouted, I grabbed his hand. clutching it in my own, as Gareth let out the chuckle of a mad man.as if he wasn't one.

"no need to take on that tone Lukey boy." Gareth laughed

Luke clenched is jaw, resulting in me hugging his arm to calm him.

"anyway...it seems...that we have another Dixon."

'Dani!' I screamed, kicking the speaker, resulting in more feedback.

"will somebody shut her up!" Gareth scolded

'don't you speak to my girlfriend like that! you-you-you...you douche pants!' Carl shouted

'douche pants? really?' Eugene scoffed, resuming boring sophie half to death, she was repeatedly hitting her head against the side of the cart.

I felt extremely sorry for her.

'Carl, let us handle it.' rick soothed his son, patting his shoulder.

'where's my niece?' dad growled

"you'll get her back. if..." he began, I could imagine him smirking.

'if what?' Sasha stepped forward

"farm girl. there's a box in the corner, open it." Gareth demanded

Maggie looked back and forth uneasily, then slowly inched towards the box, pulling it open. I heard her gasp, holding her hand over her mouth.

'what is it?' I asked her, attempting to step towards the box.

she just shook her head, waiting for Gareth to continue.

"China man. Green eyes. step forward."

'he's korean!' Rosita shouted.

"whatever! green eyes. Korean man. step. the hell. forwards."

everyone looked between me and Carl. we were the only one's with green eyes, I grabbed his hand, intertwining our fingers together.

'wh-which one of us?' Carl choked out, squeezing my hand.

"the girl." he said, Carl looked at me quickly pulling me into himself and kissing me with everything he had, the kiss mixed with both of our salty tears.

"now, country girl. give them the box."

'no. I won't do it.' Maggie cried

"do it or all of you die!" he screamed

Maggie shook her head, handing Glenn the box.

"the two of you, leave the cart..."

we looked at each other, confusedly but did as he said. and left the cart as the doors slid open for us. 7 men were stood outside, heavily armed with guns and knives of different sizes. I scrambled around for Glenn's hand, quickly finding it and taking it in my own.

"you did as I said." Gareth chuckled, standing in front of us. I wanted to lunge for him, but I knew if I did they'd kill my family.

"open the box." he demanded, Glenn undid the clasp, gasping as Maggie had when he opened it. I glanced over seeing two guns. and two bullets.

*Carl's POV*

I sat sobbing into my hands, with my back against the train cart wall. Michonne and Rosita attempted to calm me, but failed miserably. she was surely going to die and Glenn was going to die with her. but the thing that made it even worse. I promised, that I'd always protect her.

and I broke my promise.

a light suddenly shone across the room, hitting the train cart wall...

a video of Lydia and Glenn appeared on the screen, it was live footage showing everything that was going on outside.

'okay, here's the rules. if one of you doesn't shoot the other, then Dani gets tortured. however, if you do as we say. she will be delivered to the train cart with the victor and the loser.' Gareth smirked.

they both nervously lifted gun's from the box, placing a bullet inside each of them. Lydia quietly whispered something to Glenn that I didn't quite catch...but to my surprise. suddenly. Glenn shot Lydia in the chest.