Sixty Two - Remember This.

"Open the gate!"

"Open the gate!"

I stood from my place on the ground, with Judith on my hip. Everybody's eyes widened, especially Carl's.

It was Rick.

He was alive.

That meant my dad was alive. My family was still intact.

"Get the gate! Now!" Michonne demanded

I stood back and watched as everyone pulled open the gate to reveal Rick running from hundreds of walkers, but pure terror wasn't on his face like I'd expected it to be. He was determined. Determined to be home with his family.

"What are you doing?" Carl hissed, protectively wrapping his arms around Judith and I, "Get back."

And I didn't stop him, not this time. I leant into his touch. Maybe it was just because Ron was watching and I didn't want him to worry about losing Enid, hell maybe it was even because I missed him. But i just didn't know.

Rick stumbled inside and the gate was slammed shut to stop the walkers getting in, everybody stayed silent as Rick gasped for air and the walkers beat against the walls.

"We've got to stay quiet..." Rick mumbled, his voice growing stronger.

"We have to make it as silent as a grave yard in here in order to survive."

"It is like a graveyard in here." A woman spoke, "and it's your fault."

"Hey!" I spat, "why the hell are you blaming Rick? He's trying to keep us safe dumb ass!"

"She's right." Aaron spoke, "It's not Rick's fault... I lead them here.... Daryl and I were out recruiting, he wanted to carry on looking for survivors but I wanted to scavenge, we did what I wanted. We got ambushed by a bunch of walkers and I dropped my pack...those people must have found it."

Carl watched on in disbelief with his arms around me, I looked at everybody's disappointed reactions but Ron's eyes were trained on Carl, his hand gripping his knife holder...

Everybody shook their heads and began to walk away, Carl included, taking Judith with him, but I couldn't... I couldn't let Aaron feel like it was his fault, he had just wanted to help us.

I took a few short steps towards him before leaning up and hugging him, he slowly wrapped his arms around me, seeming rather shocked. I pulled away.

"None of this is your fault, remember this."

*

*

*

*

*

*

Since my short interaction with Carl we hadn't made any form of contact, not even a glance. But i didn't care.

I was slightly wary of Ron after seeing the way he had intently stared at Carl whilst gripping his knife, but it didn't stop me from being his friend.

"He ruined your relationship because of her... ruined mine too."

"You guys shouldn't think that way." Connor mumbled, as we all watched Ron stab his knife into the ground.

"Why shouldn't we Con?" I said, resting my head on the younger boys shoulder, "because if you think sad you'll die sad."

"You know? It always amazes me how sweet you can be despite everything."

The two boys smiled and laughed but Ron immediately stopped when Carl came into view...

"Hi Lyds and Connor." Carl half smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes, "Ron."

"Carl."

"Have you guys seen Enid?"

"Last time I saw her was yesterday." Connor shrugged

"Why do you even want to know?"

"Because yesterday before the attack, I think she climbed the wall and I want your help."

"Why should I help you?"

"Maybe because she's your friend!"

"Well she was my girlfriend but I don't even know about that anymore!"

"Fine to hell with you! Connor?"

"Rick would kill me."

"Fine... Lyds?"

"Carl...I-"

"You know what? to hell with you too!" Venom practically dripped from every word.

"Don't talk to them that way!" Ron yelled, grabbing Carl by the forearm.

"Don't tell me what to do!" Carl shoved Ron.

Ron narrowed his eyes at Carl, before shoving him back.

"Carl don't do this!" I grabbed onto his shoulder

"Why the hell not?

"Because he cares! Connor cares and mostly... I care!"

Ron shoved Carl and that was when he finally snapped.

He forced Ron to the ground where he lay coughing and holding onto his stomach. Carl stared at me not knowing what to say. A tear fell down my face.

"I hate to admit it, but I've always cared." I chuckled as i wiped away my tears, "how dumb is that?"

"It's not dumb." He shook his head

Carl leant down to my height and pressed a short yet sweet kiss to my cheek. He shot me one final smile before beginning to walk away.

"I'll tell your dad!" Ron called, "And he'll go after you and so will others and eventually someone will die...huh?"

Carl stopped and turned to look over his shoulder at Ron.

"You saved my life and now I'm saving yours."

*

*

*

*

*

*

"Luke?" I whispered into the dark night, "Are you awake?"

"How could I sleep with all of those walkers outside?" He rolled his eyes, "and besides I'm scared for the others..."

"Me too." I murmured

"Are you crying?"

"What if dad's dead Luke?"

"You can't think like that."

"But it's a possibility? He's had so much good luck in the past, what if it finally ran out?"

"Shut up!"

"I'm serious Luke! He's dead and there's no going back!"

"And what about the others?"

"Honestly? They're dead too! This herd is the biggest yet... get this through your thick skull Luke... They're all dead..."

"They can't be."

"And why the hell not?"

"Because?"

"Because what dipshit? There has to be a valid reason for-"

"Maggie's pregnant."

"She-what?"

"Did you not hear me? She's pregnant." He spat, "and I just lost Beth and Noah in the space of three months... I can't lose dad too! I can't lose Glenn! I can't lose... I can't lose you Lyds."

"You won't ever lose me."

"How do I know that huh? After what happened between you and Carl, you're changing Lydia. This place is changing you and I never see you anymore, I'm scared that if you die too... you'll be alone when it happens... and then I'll be alone."

"You won't ever be alone Luke." I whispered, hugging my older brother, "I love you... remember this."