Ch143 - Morphine

"You told him?!" Stiles exclaimed as he clenched his fist.

I instantly made myself smaller to be able to dodge anything Stiles would throw at me. "He had to know." I answered.

"Stiles just calm down." Mr Stilinski tried as he placed his hand on Stiles's shoulder.

"No! Are you kidding me? We would've gotten you out anyway! He didn't needed to be included in this!"

"Stiles she is facing some very serious charges. I don't think that you would've 'gotten her out' just like that." Mr Stilinski said on a distant tone. "Besides since when is keeping secrets the norm?"

Why is Mr Stilinski talking so silently? And what is that buzzing that keeps getting louder?

"Liz?" I heard Derek ask worryingly in the distance. "I think she's about to faint."

The room got darker by the second so I blinked a few times to try to get it back to normal.

"Hey are you okay?" Derek asked as he hung above me. I was laying on my back.

"How did I get here..." I asked confused as I pushed myself up to my elbows.

"You fainted."

"Oh." was my genius response as I took the time to look around.

"Stiles is informing his dad about supernatural stuff." Derek said when he saw me look around.

"Do you think I made a mistake by telling him?" I asked with a little voice.

"I think that he should know but you also have to see Stiles's side. He's protected this secret for a few years and then you come by and spill everything."

"Yeah I know. It's just... I don't think that you guys will be able to get me out this time-"

"We will-"

"No. You won't." I urged "You don't know what they've got on me. I had to tell him in order not to be framed for Emberly and Damien's murder. Mr Stilinski found the note to me in my pocket. If he'd run a DNA test on the blood on the note that would lead them straight to Emberly and Damien. And wow my head hurts." I said as I squeezed my eyes shut and threw my head back.

"Do you want me to call the nurse?"

I shook my head. "She won't be able to do anything."

"She can give you painkillers."

My eyes snapped open and stared straight into Derek's eyes. I was gonna say something about my fear of taking pills but my action caused Derek to flinch.

Right. Derek is scared of me.

"Right..." I mumbled as I looked down.

"I should go. I'm not even allowed to be here without anyone else." Derek said while he stood up. "Is there anything we could use to get you out?"

"Well only Mr Stilinski knows about the note but I'm arrested for one of Jaylah's kills. We got into a fight and they found my blood on the crime scene. I told them that I was on a random walk through the neighborhood by myself. But that's about it."

Derek nodded and brushed his fingers just once along my arm. "You'll get out of this. I promise." he said and walked off.

=---=---=---=

"So you didn't tell her about Cora?" Stiles asked me as we drove back to my place.

"She's currently potentially dying by some sort of unknown virus caused by a species I haven't even seen in a long time while she's being watched by cops because her blood happened to be at a crime scene because she fought the real killer, who we also can't hand over to the police because she's now with us and she has kids that will be motherless. I think she has other things to worry about right now."

"I still can't believe she told my dad." Stiles mumbled. "I managed to keep him away from all of this for so long! And now it's just gone."

"Maybe it's better this way-"

"You of all people should know that this entire supernatural knowledge is dangerous."

"Stiles your dad is the sheriff. He'd walk into a dangerous situation with or without supernatural knowledge. Maybe this will just help him prepare better when he faces such a situation."

"Maybe." Stiles replied without sounding too convinced. 

"Where are we even heading?"

"To Deaton."

=---=---=---=

"So she's not evolving into some sort of... half vampire half werewolf... thing?" Stiles asked.

"No. She's never been anything else than human and werewolf." Deaton explained again. "The poison of a vampire mark lingers in the blood and takes residence in the cells. Other than some passive changes, nothing changes. She probably wouldn't even have noticed them. Especially with Liz."

"Why?" 

"Little things change. Like her smell is slightly altered, but since her smell already is so feint... and it makes her more tired and constantly hungry, something that she also wouldn't have noticed since she was already constantly tired and hungry when she got marked the first time. Little things like that."

"But that doesn't make sense. Vampires mark them because they work for them. Why would they want to make their... employees uncomfortable. Wouldn't that just counter the entire purpose of marking them?"

"Well I can only guess that either they didn't care, or they had something to counter the effect. It could also help in making their employees loyal to them." Deaton continued.

"Yeah because every time someone starves me, I follow them around like a puppy." Stiles remarked sarcastically.

"If someone keeps providing you food while you are starving, it's not a hard choice to make. After all, all species have a basic instinct to survive."

"So you've found something in the cells?" I asked.

"Yes I got two samples total. One from each mark. At first I didn't see any difference, until I threw them together. Both marks leave little particles nearly identical to each other. Both are programmed to take over the entire body and both want total control. In short: they're killing each other."

"But that's not that bad, right?" I asked "If they're killing each other than they're solving our problem."

"At first I thought so too. Until I realized that her first mark is weeks old. By that time the entire body should've already been taken over. I think the mark produces these little particles."

"And therefor making it an endless war..." I sighed.

"Exactly. So I extracted some of the particles and experimented a bit with different herbs. Now this part is important: she can't get morphine. Morphine aggravates it-"

"But she's at the hospital!" I said as I jumped up.

"So? She can just take painkillers, right?" Stiles asked confused.

"She's afraid of taking pills."

"What? That's a thing?"

"Yes! Now call your dad!"

Stiles quickly pulled his phone out of his pocket but before he could even unlock it, Deaton's phone rang. Deaton went to the front of his practice to answer while Stiles dialed his dad's number.

"It's going to voicemail." Stiles said annoyed as I listened in on Deaton.

"The nurse told me to call you." Mr Stilinski's voice said in the distance "She's not breathing."