Ch152 - Friendly visit

This must be the address.

I walked the last few meters and pushed the bright white fence out of my way. The house was basic. A tiny lawn with barely enough space to actually do something on it, a small two story house large enough to fit a starting family but small enough to keep them wanting more. It was a picture perfect house.

As promised, I didn't shift last night. Every time I got close, I simply thought back of the pain Carver and his employees brought on me last full moon. It wasn't much but it kept me from shifting. I'd even laughed at the irony; normal werewolves turn by anger and calm down by love but nope I had to be different. I turn by fear and calm down because of a mixture of pain and hatred. Of course I do.

I sighed and focused on the task at hand. I'd tracked down the person I needed to find. This is where my plan would really kick off. And as expected I got all of the details.

And that is how I ended up in front of his house. To be honest I didn't even know the guy's name. It didn't matter. All that mattered was that he was Jaylah's target together with his wife... or something. All that I needed to know was that he was alive. That he remembered what happened back there. And that he'll remember the outfit I wore that day. I'd dressed up exactly like I had that day. Now all that was left was for me to ring the bell.

I couldn't see anyone through the window as I walked the path to the dark green front door.

As I reached up to ring the bell, my eye fell on the little note, written in fancy swirly handwriting, taped on top of it. 'Out of order. Try knocking xP' I sighed and followed the instructions. My knocks echoed through the empty sounding house.

I straightened out my coat and hoped for the best. I simply hope that he won't try to attack me from his own front door.

I could hear the labored breaths from someone who'd been crying recently. His footsteps stopped a few meters from the door as he steadied his breaths. The door swung open, revealing the man I wanted to see. His eyes were bloodshot and his nose running. He was wearing some sweatpants and a shirt that, judging by the smell alone, hadn't been washed in days. It took a few seconds but when his smell hit my nose, it really did. He reeked of alcohol.

The first thing he did was back up with wide eyes as he stared at me.

I held my hands up to show him that I meant no harm.

Well he definitely remembers me.

"Y-you!" he stuttered as he grasped around him for anything he could use to defend himself. His eyes never even blinked as he stared at me.

"I'm not here to hurt you." I tried.

"You're here to finish the job." he slurred with the look of pure terror on his face.

"I'm here to help you get revenge." I stated "Don't you want to get the person responsible for the death of your... wife?"

"She wasn't my wife. We were engaged." he stumbled with a regretful look.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't save her. I should've been faster." I lied. I couldn't care less for the woman but I needed his help.

At the sound of my voice, he looked back up. He eyed me from head to toe. Maybe looking for signs of hostility, maybe for signs of trustworthiness. All I knew is that he eased up, dropped the item he'd gotten to defend himself and let me enter his house.

I followed him through all kinds of rooms filled with moving boxes before he settled in a small room with not much more than a few sitting places and tons of boxes.

"Why are you here?" he asked with tired bloodshot eyes.

"I didn't lie. I came here to help you get revenge."

"Revenge won't get her back." he replied as he grabbed an open beer bottle and emptied it in one gulp.

"It will get you closure. I've got the answers."

He waved his beer bottle around and scratched his head. "It's not worth it." he slurred and tried to wave me away.

"You're okay with your fiancé dying just like that?"

"Of course I'm not!" he shouted and sprang up. "But she's dead!"

"She wasn't the first victim and unless you're willing to cooperate, she won't be the last."

"Don't care." he mumbled tiredly as he got himself another beer.

I groaned annoyed. I'd expected him to whine about it but I hadn't expected him to be so detached about it. "Fine. Then don't do it for her." His eyes shot up from his beer to mine "It's only a matter of time before they find you, a loose end. They'll probably even be here in at least a day seeing as I found you in an hour." I lied. Jaylah had been the only other soul that had been there and seeing as the police were still pursuing me, they wouldn't mind this loose end that much.

"I don't care. 'They' can come and get me all they want."

I growled which caused him to look up. Don't care my ass. I lifted him up out of his chair with one tug and showed him my blue eyes and claws. His heart pounded in his chest as I slowly approached him.

"You don't want to die yet. Your heart wouldn't have pounded that fast if you were ready to die." I stated as I shifted back.

He swallowed once and stared at me in horror. "What kind of monster are you?" he asked disgusted.

"There are things out of fairy tails out here in the real world. I'm a werewolf. The person that killed your fiancé is a vampire. His name is Gerrit van Dijk."

"Vampire? Werewolf? Are you nuts?"

"You just saw my eyes glowing, my canines growing and my nails turn to claws and you still didn't see that one coming?" I countered.

The guy huffed and started laughing like he'd completely lost it. "So you're saying," he said through his laughter "That I should go to the cops," his laughter quieted down "and tell them that a vampire killed my fiancé?!" he shouted. The grip on his bottle tightened and before I knew it he'd thrown it at me. I couldn't dodge it in time and it hit my shoulder. It wasn't bad. The bottle didn't even break.

"Why did you tell me all of this?" he asked on the verge of tears.

"I need you to tell the cops some story that you owed money, let's say not that much... 5k-"

"5k?!"

"Yes that's not that much for them, now shut up. Tell the cops that they 'borrowed' you and your fiancé 5k for your house or something. On the first drop you didn't have any money on you but you managed to beg them for more time. The second time you brought them something like... 500 but you'd agreed on 550. You thought you managed to get away with it but he ended up sending someone after you."

"Hold on, hold on. I can't do this!" he said with desperation clear in his eyes. "I'm a good person. I spent years trying to get out of dept-"

"That's perfect. All the more reason to believe your story."

He shook his head and took another sip of his beer. "Okay."

"Just remember the name: Gerrit van Dijk."