Ch30 - Babysitting

Liz's POV

Derek held me in his arms for another half an hour. He kept taking my pain away. I have to admit that I didn't like it to cause him pain but I was VERY grateful for the pain relief.

My hands began to numb by the constant amount of tension. I thought that after this amount of time, it would've at least subsided a bit. 

Boy was I wrong.

And the worst thing was that it wasn't getting worse either. If it got worse, then you can say something like she's not gonna make it or we really need to do something now. But that wasn't my case. It kept being a constant flow of the worst pain I'd ever felt.

I felt Derek's phone vibrate in his pocket. He tried to lay me down as gently as possible but it still hurt like hell.

"Peter? How is it coming along?" Derek said in his phone.

I probably would've been able to hear what Peter answered if I really concentrated but I focused on not dying of pain.

"I can't leave her alone."

"Shut up."

"No she can barely move, there is no way I'm taking her along."

Derek groaned "Fine. I'll be there."

He turned back to me. He looked straight into my eyes. I focused as hard as I could on his speech.

"Peter needs me. He's found a trail but he needs backup. I'm gonna call Isaac. he'll take care of you."

Somewhere inside, I wished that Isaac couldn't come so that Derek had to stay with me.

I liked Derek. He knows what it's like to have blue eyes and he's definitely handsome.

"Can't Isaac help Peter?" I managed to say.

His face softened at the sound of my voice. "I'm sorry. I'll stay until he arrives."

I nodded and hid my face in the blankets. I didn't like to show people my weaknesses. So I also didn't want them to have to look at my face since I couldn't keep it straight.

Derek sat next to me on the bed. He took as much pain as he could. I'm sure of it since every time he pulled his hand away, his eyes were glowing and his heart was pounding.

I began to take off his jacket since he was about to go outside. Derek stopped me.

"Keep it." he whispered.

"But... you'll get cold."

"You need to stay warm more than I do. I'll be fine."

I looked at his face. It showed a cute concerned expression and I knew that he wasn't going to take my answer.

I nodded and snuggled into the jacket. It still smelled like Derek. It was very comforting since Derek was always there when I needed help.

The time flew and before I knew it, Isaac walked in.

"How is she?"

"Not good." Derek answered and walked over to him.

I immediately missed his comforting warmth. Derek told Isaac something I couldn't focus on because of a pain wave but when Derek left, Isaac had a different expression.

It was like he was more careful. What had Derek told him? Did he tell Isaac about me wanting to jump? That would explain his expression.

Isaac didn't do anything but staring at me for the first ten minutes. I missed Derek. He took some of my pain at least once every two minutes. It wasn't much pain that he could take but I was happy with any sort of pain relief. 

"Isaac?" I said with gritted teeth. It was harder to focus or talk.

I guess Derek made more impact then I thought he would.

"Yeah? What's wrong? Do you need anything?"

"Can you... do.. the pain... thingy?"

He looked away reluctantly. Please tell me that he's not bitching out on me. 

"Can't you focus on anything else?" he asked desperately.

"Are you... kidding me?" I gasped for air.

"Is it the same as last time?" he asked looking a bit scared.

I nodded. Last time he'd taken nearly nothing but I would kill for nearly nothing right now.

Isaac approached me. He got my hand and his veins turned black. After two seconds he pulled away.

"Ouch." he mumbled to himself and grabbed his wrist.

He'd done basically nothing. I curled up even more and hid my face in my knees. I felt a tear escape my eyes. 

I quickly wiped it but Isaac had already seen it.

"Are you... crying?"

"No." I answered with a steady voice.

He nodded and walked out of the room. I had no idea what he was doing. Was he leaving me behind? 

After a minute he came back with a glass of water.

"Here, drink up." he said with a grin.

I shook my head but Isaac wasn't having it.

"You need to drink. Maybe it'll help."

I used all my strength to push myself up. I gave a small cry of pain but took the glass. I took a few sips.

Nothing bad seemed to happen so I placed the glass at my lips again.

Suddenly all my muscles began to hurt. It was the worst feeling so far. I dropped the glass on the floor and heard it shatter. I screamed out in pain.

Isaac's POV

I felt a sting in my leg. A piece of glass was stuck in it. I pulled it out and dropped it on the floor. Suddenly Liz started to scream an ear piercing scream. It was absolutely horrible. She began to turn and turn on the bed like she didn't know what to do against the pain.

Had I made it worse?

There was a worse?!

I tried to calm her down but she clawed my shirt open. Blood dripped from the new wound but it quickly healed. 

The worst part was that she kept screaming. I'd never seen Liz scream from pain before.

I'd never seen Liz scream before.

She didn't even let out a sound when Peter re-broke her ankle!

Liz stopped turning and hunched to the side. She vomited up black blood and crawled back the the middle of the bed.

"Okay. No water. I'm gonna... make a call." I said and quickly walked out of the room.

I dialed Peter's number.

"Any news?" Peter said.

"She's... she might be dying."

"She might be dying? Yeah, we'd figured that one out." Peter said sarcastically.

"I gave her some water... and she just... she lost it... and she ended up vomiting black blood."

"Shit..." I heard peter mumble at the other end. "We're gonna need help."

It stayed silent for a moment. Peter was debating something.

"Call Scott." Peter said and before I could protest, he hung up.