Ch127 - So much dialogue

"So what happened to not doing anything?" Peter asked Liz sarcastically and with a hint of anger in his voice. The others had left.

I saw Liz cringe but Peter didn't even notice it. "I ran into her. I figured that we won't get a lot of opportunities like that. And I wasn't planning on fighting her, just tailing her."

"And yet you got in a fight." 

"I tried to save those people." Liz said while frowning and beginning to doubt herself.

"Well it was stupid of you." Peter said and walked off before shouting back "Don't do it again!"

Liz was silent for a moment, staring at the kitchen table. Just when I wanted to say something to get her out of her trance she mumbled: "Why did I try to save those people?"

"Because you're a good person." I immediately answered as I stepped closer to her and gave her a hug. She didn't hug back, she just kept her head down.

"I'm not."

"Don't be stupid of course you are. You tried to save them! Only a good person would do that."

"You don't know what I've done. One good deed can never match up to the others. Besides, I failed. It will just cause more complications now. I shouldn't have tried to save them. It wasn't strategical or tactical."

"But you did save the guy's life." I argued and forced her to look up at me. She stared back with dull eyes and a slight frown.

"Not the girl. And he's gonna hate me for saving him. His girlfriend is dead, His arm is severely injured, he'll be send to a mental institute if he keeps telling everyone that he saw someone with glowing blue eyes, claws and razor sharp teeth. And that's if he keeps talking, he could also realize that they'll send him to an institute and he'll have to live knowing no one will ever believe him. Not even knowing what happened that day and why his girlfriend died-"

"You saved his life. Sure he might get depressed. He might doubt his life. But he'll have an entire future ahead of him. He gets to live an other day because you stepped in."

"I did complicate everything." she said as she looked away. "She now knows that someone is after her, someone supernatural. She'll be more on her guard, better prepared."

"And we'll find a way. I'm proud of you."

A slight smile appeared on her lips and she hugged me back. 

"And also for telling the truth earlier."

"I thought you'd like that. That's why I did it." she admitted. 

For a moment we were both silent. Suddenly I remembered my question from earlier. "Why don't you hold my hand when you're about to be in pain?"

"Well that's easy. Just because I know I'm gonna be in pain, doesn't mean that you also have to suffer when I squeeze the life out of your hand." She explained laughing. After a few intakes of breath she stopped laughing and cringed slightly. If I hadn't known her better I wouldn't even have seen it, that's how good she was at hiding stuff. But I was also getting better in understanding her.

"Does it still hurt?" I asked as I circled the place where the blade had pierced her skin.

"Just a bit. Nothing too bad. It's just healing slowly."

She should be more careful! "I'm seriously gonna tie you down." I sighed as I thought of how often she'd gotten hurt since she became a werewolf.

"Oh really?" She joked suggestively.

 I couldn't help but grin at her comment. "We're not gonna have sex. You're still not healthy." I replied.

"Hmm then I guess I'll have to eat something." she said with a thoughtful expression as she pushed herself away from my arms and strode to the fridge, unintentionally swaying her hips as she moved. I silently groaned at just the sight but I was committed to my rule. Besides, she'd look way better if she actually had meat on her bones.

"Just to be sure..." She said as she turned around with a serious expression "You're not thinking of asking Gerrit for help, right?"

"It hadn't crossed my mind so far. But... Why not? He might know more-"

"I know he knows more but his offer is unrealistic. It doesn't matter if he has 50 people as backup- not even 100 would make a change! They'll just be guided into a certain death. And the people that would make it out alive will be hunted for the rest of their lives. That's how far I know they'd go and I'm not gonna fight for him." 

"Is it really that serious?" I asked disbelieving. I knew that there would be a reason for Liz to act that eager to get out of Gerrit's deal but I hadn't thought that it would be that bad.

"Yes and I'm sure of it. It was once my mission. I had to track down and bring back a runaway deserter. And believe me... If you're found... You'd wish you were dead." Liz said with a distant grim expression.

"Are you a runaway?" I asked getting worried. Would they be looking for her as we speak?

"No. I got away in a different way. They hunt down deserters. In order to be a deserter you have to kill or at least tried to kill one of theirs and then run." 

"Good." I said as I wrapped my arms around her waist "I don't want you to get hurt again."

"Well that's what would happen if I tried to help them. And that's if we assume that Gerrit is one of the good guys."

"What makes you think they're the bad guys? So far Gerrit has only helped you, right?"

"Well yes but you just can't trust vampires."

"That sounds kinda racist." I whispered in her ear. I could feel her shiver.

"It's not racist, it's a fact."

"So people would think that all werewolves are manipulative and coldblooded if they only knew Peter?"

"That's different." She said as she turned around to face me "Because after Peter I would've met you and Isaac, Scott... Even Oliver, Emberley and Damien. They all have completely different personalities but all some similarities. Werewolves are a bit secretive about things and if you're not in their pack they could deny to give you certain info. When they find a new unknown species, they're instantly suspicious or even hostile towards it."

I thought about it. What she said was kinda true. Werewolves don't work together unless it's within your own pack. And if there was an unknown scent in the territory, we would usually consider it a threat.

"Still Gerrit might be different. He's helped you escape. Plus he looks like he despises his own kind." Liz bit the inside of her lip and stared past me with a thoughtful look. "Maybe he's not so bad." I added.

"Is that really your opinion? 100 percent your opinion?" She asked.

"Yes."

"Then I'll give it a shot. I'll ask him about the poison."