Ch112 - Party shopping

Happy birthday thesprayberry! (Or happy birthday in advance... I don't know your timezone)

"Sooooo" Lydia said on a hinting tone as soon as we left Derek's place. It was around 2 PM. Lydia's and Allison's classes ended half an hour ago and they insisted on shopping for 'my' party this Friday. The party that was only 3 days away.

"So... what?" I asked confused.

"How did it go?" 

Oh her plan for me to sleep with Derek.

"He rejected me." I said with a smile.

"What?" Allison gasped "Why would he turn you down?!"

My smile only broadened as I saw them gaping at me.

"He broke her brain." Lydia said sarcastically.

"He said that he wouldn't sleep with me until I gained some more weight and became healthier."

"That bastard." Lydia said jokingly. "If he ever gets tired of you, I'm next in line. A guy who wants you to gain weight is rare."

I shook my head and tried to get the grin off my face but Lydia wasn't satisfied with my answer yet.

"So he just said it as soon as you saw you?" she asked with a frown.

"Uh no..." They don't expect me to go into detail about that, do they?

Lydia wiggled her eyebrows and Allison gently bumped my shoulder.

"So what did happen?" they questioned.

"Wha- no."

"Ah come onnn" they whined.

"No I'm not gonna tell you what happened in the bedroo..." I quieted down since we passed some guys and they looked quite interested in our conversation. "I'm not gonna tell you what happens in the bedroom."

They pouted but I didn't give in. Some things should be private. Some things should never be spoken of.

=---=---=---=

The mall was busy as always. Many people rushed from one place to the other. I kept eyeing them warily and alert. I couldn't help it. I was used to having enemies all around me. I noticed that Allison saw me watching strangers and that she was about to comment.

"Why is everyone being so... Why are they in such a rush?" I asked her before she could say anything.

She looked up in surprise. "Because it's almost Christmas? Didn't you know?"

I shook my head. "No I never celebrated Christmas. My parents disliked it. We celebrated Sinterklaas with the entire family."

Both Lydia and Allison frowned. "What? Is that Dutch for Santa Claus?" 

"You don't have Sinterklaas?"

"What is Sinterklaas?"

"Oh right! That's a Dutch thing!" I frowned trying to think how to explain it. "Well you guys are gonna think it's a racist thing if you were to just see it."

"What?"

"It's basically an old guy with a grey beard and a hat like the pope's but then red with gold. He comes to Holland every year a couple weeks before his birthday and on the 5th of December he hands out gifts to all the people. It's called... presents evening? That's the literal translation at least."

Allison slowly nodded. "How is that racist?" Lydia asked.

"Well his helpers are called the zwarte pieten. Zwarte means black. So people who don't know anything about the background assume that there's this one white guy that prances around with a shitload of slaves as his 'helpers'."

Both Allison and Lydia looked shocked. "Which isn't true!" I quickly added.

"How are those not slaves? What you're describing sounds like slaves to me." Lydia said disbelieving.

"They're not! The story behind their skin color is because of... what's the word... schoorstenen... chimneys! In the period of time where he's in Holland before his birthday, you can..."

I bit my lip trying to translate all these Dutch sayings but nothing made sense after the translation. I groaned in annoyance

"Okay you can basically place your shoe in front of your chimney, or just the door since most people don't have a chimney anymore, and those zwarte pieten would fill it with presents or treats. Back in the day the story was that they would have to climb through your chimney to enter your house. That's why they're black, they're not slaves!"

Allison and Lydia looked at each other. "That kinda sounds like something they would tell a modern child to make it sound less bad." Allison suggested.

"No that's the official story behind it. It's even incorporated in many old songs."

A silence fell on the three us of.

"So anyway..." I began. "Have you thought of a theme for the party yet?"

Lydia's eyes lit up at the thought of the party and didn't hesitate to change the subject. "Yeah it's your birthday party!"

My eyes widened. I did not think she would think of something like that. How did she even know? Stiles must've told her... or Scott told Allison... I mean I did tell Scott, Stiles and Derek when I was at the hospital the day before yesterday.

"And don't worry about no one showing up because I'm the host. They'll come. I throw the best parties in Beacon Hills and everyone knows it."

"But... No one knows me." I said confused. "Why would they show up at a birthday party of someone they don't know?"

"Simple; I'm the host. Besides, I know that you'd dislike it if I told everyone it was your party, you know with you being socially awkward and all, so they just know that it's a birthday party. They don't know who's it is."

"Uh, thank you?" I said since I wasn't sure if I should be offended by a fact.

"You're welcome." she said with a political smile "Now let's shop for some dresses!"

"Noooo"